What's new
What's new

Cylinder Head Work Port and Polish

snowshooze

Hot Rolled
Hi guys;
I have been doing some cylinder heads, and there is call for porting and polishing.
Well, that gets too far off track for me, unless I could come up with proven CAD models, I just don't have the time or inclination to start doing port designs and doing all the dyno work and tail chasing...
I make chips.
Does anyone know if there is a source for proven cylinder head port cad models?
It doesn't look like it so far.
Thanks!
Mark

There are books on the subject, so probably some decent online resources.

My understanding is that porting is trying to get a smooth transition between intake and valve seat. The hard part is not enlarging things where they do not need to be, IOW, making a fat part or angled part in the middle of the flow path. Amateurs tend to go too big, and not smooth, so flow is disrupted.

Seeing the horsepower that is gotten out of modern fuel injected engines I think this is one of those things that is just fading away.

There are so many people here doing various things, being more specific may get you useful advice.

Like, what are you working on?

Im glad hot rodding isn’t dead but there is much more to porting than a good cad model of a good port. Been in and out of this since i was a kid in the 70s and 80s. Things have changed for sure but a cnc or a cad model a good head is not. Many hrs of flowbench testing, fluid dynamics, modify a head test, find out lots of flow didnt make more power, start over. My best advice would be find a successful cylinder head guy that will let you in on some secrets and listen to him very well. Most won’t. The big change if you doing American iron is you can buy a overseas head for not much , bolt it on and unless you are at the top of the pool ,read nascar, pro drag racing , outlaw sprint it really is going to be tough to make a profit at it. Unless it is going to be a hobby then go for it. You really need a dyno in house, along with lotts of other expensive testing tools to be really good at it. Hope the best of your endeavor.

Doing this is sort of secret and very engine and powerband dependent.
There is how deep and polish is often not the best idea as stated above otherwise wetting and lower flow although it looks very pretty.
How much material and how much to reshape is another?
Where is the power needed, reversion dams and tuned lengths and flow rates inside.
D's, round, ovals and or my.
Hot rodders ask for port and polish. Very easy to make it worse than factory stock.
Was all over this when younger and spent way to much time for no gain even with a flow bench.
This is an art and you need help from someone who has done it wrong so many times on this motor.

Many books and online stuff to help you. Almost all wrong.
Yet very small mods in the right places can make a decent difference.
A very good thing to learn as it is real money.
Bob

Doing this is sort of secret and very engine and powerband dependent.
There is how deep and polish is often not the best idea as stated above otherwise wetting and lower flow although it looks very pretty.
How much material and how much to reshape is another?
Where is the power needed, reversion dams and tuned lengths and flow rates inside.
D's, round, ovals and or my.
Hot rodders ask for port and polish. Very easy to make it worse than factory stock.
Was all over this when younger and spent way to much time for no gain even with a flow bench.
This is an art and you need help from someone who has done it wrong so many times on this motor.

Many books and online stuff to help you. Almost all wrong.
Yet very small mods in the right places can make a decent difference.
A very good thing to learn as it is real money.
Bob

Well...
I know this.
But, once a design has been proven...
After that, it is just production.

Well...
I know this.
But, once a design has been proven...
After that, it is just production.

Your real name Vic Edelbrock?
Production is easy but … it needs to sell and lots of it and its a tough market to enter unless you can offer a product cheap , and performs real well. read overseas production cause there is alot coming from there already. Big names in heads too

When I find it I don’t need it
When I need it I can’t find it!

Yeah?
I am fucking asking where they are at asswipe.
I have owned this shop for 22 years, I am 61 years old, and still put in 80 hour weeks.
What are you?
A cart catcher at the grocery store?

Yeah?
I am fucking asking where they are at asswipe.
I have owned this shop for 22 years, I am 61 years old, and still put in 80 hour weeks.
What are you?
A cart catcher at the grocery store?

61 and still putting in 80 hours a week, your a real success story, just sayin...

Look for some books by David Vizard, a lot of what applied back when he was tuning Minis would apply now.

It looks like a 350 dollar eBay turbo is where it’s at these days 1000 hp 5.3 Chevy it much problem
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It looks like a 350 dollar eBay turbo is where it’s at these days 1000 hp 5.3 Chevy it much problem
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turbos/methanol or a squirt of nitrous and faily inexpensive heads, rods, and cranks from China....things certainly have changed from the days of Rich Lockerman porting heads in Long Beach. (1/8 mile "no prep" cars running 160mph 5 seconds)

Huh?
So nobody who helps others on this forum is any good at their trade?

No, the magic is in the very particular knowledge.

I think personally that the newer fuel injected motors make all this fuss about magic porting really of secondary importance. Obviously good flow is important, but nowadays if you see a lean spot you get rid of it with the computer. If is caused by poor flow it really is unimportant. Back in the day you have only so many jets and such to change, and if you have a poorly shaped port, it is going to be a compromise somewhere.

Back