What's new
What's new

Daewoo Puma 6 lathe questions

macgyver

Stainless
I have a line on a Daewoo Puma 6 cnc lathe that is cheap and not too far away from me. I don't have alot of info on it which is why I am asking you guys. Ad says it runs and has Fanuc 6a control. It has a chip conveyor. My only cnc right now is a cnc router with a Fanuc OM on it, so at the moment I am not scared off due to the control. It looks like it at least has a crt and displays more than one line at a time.

I haven't been able to turn up much online about this model with the 6 control which I assume puts it at 1980's vintage.

What is the work size? I saw one ad that indicates it might be a 6" dia machine?

Any idea as to how heavy it might be?

What are the limitations of the 6 control? Will it have a rs232 port? I have never programmed a cnc lathe, so I don't know the canned cycles and such that may be useful and on newer or better machines. I was a parts changer on a few lathes for awhile, so I understand the machines, just don't know what I don't know on the programming side.

What I have in mind to do with it would be to turn parts with a few diameters to hit with an external threaded portion on one end, or another would be similar but with an internal thread. Also would like to do parts that have a curved profile on part of it. I assume the 6 can do threading and curved profiles up to it's memory limit?

It would be in house work so wouldn't need to be competitive in a job shop sense, just want to make parts easier than on my manual machines.

I got a tiny picture from the seller, enough to tell it has a 3 jaw chuck on it and it has a turret.

Thanks for any help on this,
Jason

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 193
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 151
That's an old machine. Likely very early 1980s. Sure to have all DC motors.

The 6T control can do pretty much anything you need in a 2 axis lathe, but it's much more cumbersome than a newer control. Tool and work offsets take a lot of getting used to.

It should have canned roughing cycles and threading. I'm sure there is an RS232 option, but it may require a behind the tape reader. I would not worry about the memory. Lathe programs are small.

The only things I didn't like about my 6T control was the offsets, and it would pause between lines when interpolating the finish pass and always leave a visible witness mark. But, it would still hold tolerances and was reliable.

for a machine that old it should be free or close to it, scrap value if you are a scrapper, less if you aren't, unless seller is willing to demo and give you a thorough tutorial and load as well. even then, something that old may develop all kinds of demons from the move. how long since it ran?

Thanks guys, I don't know how long since it ran. I have not asked too much from the seller the only reply I got back was these tiny pictures, figured I'd ask here first to see if it was worth pursuing. It is 2 hrs away, so not terrible, but far enough I am not going to just pop in over lunch to check it out.

The only way I'd be serious is if I saw it run, looks like it is in a shop, I'd think they could run a cord to it assuming it's not still hooked up.

I feel like kpotter asking every so often about old junky lathes. I am on the fence about buying a cnc lathe, don't really have the work for one so don't want to spend the money for a nice one, but want one in the shop that I can use. Probably stuck until I decide to pony up more money.

Daewoo Pumas had lots of iron, just not real good iron. Not real well assembled with plenty of corners cut. Low grade electrical parts (contactors, relays, cables) caused lots of ongoing troubles when I had to work on them. During those years, myself and the rest of the guys in the service department, were happier when the sales guys sold a budget customer a YANG lathe since they were less trouble.

Daewoo Pumas had lots of iron, just not real good iron. Not real well assembled with plenty of corners cut. Low grade electrical parts (contactors, relays, cables) caused lots of ongoing troubles when I had to work on them. During those years, myself and the rest of the guys in the service department, were happier when the sales guys sold a budget customer a YANG lathe since they were less trouble.

I think this counts as wisdom. such direct firsthand knowledge is invaluable, and its what makes this place great in spite of all the know nothing BS one has to put up with to get to the gems! bravo

Last edited:
Van, that is very helpful. I am mostly OK with old, seems most my stuff is, but I don't want old that was not good or junk when new.

If I keep looking, would a machine with an OT control be the equivalent of my OM in usefulness?

At the shop I work at we have a 1986 Puma 8 with the 10T control. I am guessing the 6T would be early 80s?
Our 33 year old Puma 8 still makes good parts and is used almost everyday.

I have a line on a Daewoo Puma 6 cnc lathe that is cheap and not too far away from me. I don't have alot of info on it which is why I am asking you guys. Ad says it runs and has Fanuc 6a control. It has a chip conveyor. My only cnc right now is a cnc router with a Fanuc OM on it, so at the moment I am not scared off due to the control. It looks like it at least has a crt and displays more than one line at a time.

I haven't been able to turn up much online about this model with the 6 control which I assume puts it at 1980's vintage.

What is the work size? I saw one ad that indicates it might be a 6" dia machine?

Any idea as to how heavy it might be?

What are the limitations of the 6 control? Will it have a rs232 port? I have never programmed a cnc lathe, so I don't know the canned cycles and such that may be useful and on newer or better machines. I was a parts changer on a few lathes for awhile, so I understand the machines, just don't know what I don't know on the programming side.

What I have in mind to do with it would be to turn parts with a few diameters to hit with an external threaded portion on one end, or another would be similar but with an internal thread. Also would like to do parts that have a curved profile on part of it. I assume the 6 can do threading and curved profiles up to it's memory limit?

It would be in house work so wouldn't need to be competitive in a job shop sense, just want to make parts easier than on my manual machines.

I got a tiny picture from the seller, enough to tell it has a 3 jaw chuck on it and it has a turret.

Thanks for any help on this,
Jason

Doosan still has parts for that old gal. She's about 9k or so, but I'm sure someone could look up the specs. Fanuc still has parts for the 6T. It's a little involved to program as it uses G50 for the tools and such but nothing you couldn't handle. Nice old gal that can make some coin for you.

Back