What's new
What's new

datron neo versus haas cm-1

drcoelho

Stainless
I'm evaluating Datron Neo and Haas CM-1 milling machines. Was hoping I could get some feedback from folks that have experience with these machines and which you would recommend. Both machines match my milling needs and fit my shop size.

I think I boils down to service at this point. They both fit your needs now will they when one breaks down?

I think I boils down to service at this point. They both fit your needs now will they when one breaks down?

This is EXACTLY the kind of info I am interested in. Any experience with either of these manufacturers and their support quality? I will be buying a new machine, so theoretically I get some kind of warranty. They both have field offices nearby.

The datron is really just a router, not a full cnc. The two are very different from each other and also very specialized machines that only excel at specific tasks. Datron - flat parts cut from sheet on vacuum table. CM-1 tiny 5 axis stuff. Both are limited IMHO and cost as much as real CNCs. People new to the industry seem to be the only ones impressed by these machines because they are marketed well and have a good online presence. I would suggest to dig a little deeper.

The datron is really just a router, not a full cnc. The two are very different from each other and also very specialized machines that only excel at specific tasks. Datron - flat parts cut from sheet on vacuum table. CM-1 tiny 5 axis stuff. Both are limited IMHO and cost as much as real CNCs. People new to the industry seem to be the only ones impressed by these machines because they are marketed well and have a good online presence. I would suggest to dig a little deeper.

Tell me about it, I built a Cm-1 on the Haas website and the base machine is only $59k which is on the high end of reasonable for a machine that size. The 5 axis option package right next to adds another $42k including the trunnion. I could buy a lot of machine for $102k if I didn't mind a couple chips in the paint and had the space for it.

The Datrons always looked cool but the tiny rinky dink tool holders reminded me of Tormach TTS, but they did have higher production values and market their machines well.

What about a Brother Speedio S300? Really compact machine. 30 taper. Fast, accurate and reliable, and probably in the same price range.

What about a Brother Speedio S300? Really compact machine. 30 taper. Fast, accurate and reliable, and probably in the same price range.

I was thinking the same thing. Even with a full 5th axis table an S300 is in the ballpark or cheaper than the CM-1, and is not even comedically comparable.

Can Datrons do full 5 axis? Is 5 axis needed for your parts?

We looked at a Datron machine two years ago. Very snotty sales rep. Wanted $800 to just do a small test cut for us. And this is after 3 months of talking to them.

Someone is my industry has one. They hate it.

Buy a Brother Speedio you will be better off

I am not sure what Daton's niche is? I have a competitor that has one of their machines. They are brand new to CNC and didn't have any point of comparison. I also have a friend who was interested in buying one to make simple 6061-AL parts, but when you compare them to a Speedio, the Speedio blows them out of the water in terms of speed, accuracy, surface finish, production capability and just about everything else.

If the Datron was a $30k machine, I can see it... but it isn't. It's Speedio money but with a fraction of the performance.

My problem is that I've got a VERY small space with 35"w by 78"h doorway....the Datron Neo and the Haas CM-1 will both fit into the space. I would LOVE to go with the Speedio, looks perfect for my needs, but I don't see how I can fit it through the door. I'll talk to Brother and see whether the Speedio can be broken down for transport into my space....

Haas has excellent support, cheap spares, and the highest resale value in the cnc mt industry.
And about 1000x more machines sold than Datron.

That said, I partly don´t understand the pretty common obsession with door width.
Even if You rent, landlords will be very happy if you install a bigger door raising the value of the property.

3000$ would get me a bigger doorway, new premium metal door installed, in about 2-3 days.
On a 100.000$ mt purchase, the doorway is ancillary costs.

I could get a non-premium industrial metal door done myself for about 500$, and have done so.

Unfortunately, its more than a doorway, its two doorways and a hallway, before I get to a room that has sufficient ceiling height...I am evaluating the doorway resizing thing, but not sure how I get past the ceiling height issues.....maybe I rent a helicopter and drop it through the removed roof ;)

My problem is that I've got a VERY small space with 35"w by 78"h doorway....the Datron Neo and the Haas CM-1 will both fit into the space. I would LOVE to go with the Speedio, looks perfect for my needs, but I don't see how I can fit it through the door. I'll talk to Brother and see whether the Speedio can be broken down for transport into my space....

The Speedio S300 is 43 inches wide. The height is really close. You can email me for more information.

Andy Dukes
Vice President
Yamazen Inc

[email protected]

I have a CM-1 (OM-1 since it is older but the same thing) since many years. I would say it is a good machine for what it is, if you have small alu or plastic parts with high precision it is a good fit. Small here means that it fit in your palm.
If you want to remove a lot of material or make parts the size of the table it can be done, the parts will be great but it won’t be fast. Maximum tool diameter is 10mm and with that it is light cuts.
With this machine and alu/plastic you have to use max rpm and take advantage of that the light cuts results in really low cutting forces. That is hold the parts in really little material, double stick tape etc. and have very little material to take away afterwards.
A Speedio or Robodrill will remove a lot more material a lot faster (actuelly really a lot), and their tool changes are at least 10 times as fast. The only place I know they are used in production is in the watch industry where the compete with Swiss machines 3 times the price.
But if space is limited and you use a lot of tiny tools it is not a bad machine. Power requirements are also low and single phase.
I would only consider the Datron if all your parts are made from sheets, it is a router, a beefed up version of the old Roland desktop mills... The CM-1 is a real mill.
If you get one DO get the probe package and don't bump the spindle, it is very sensitive.

I'll gladly answer your question about the machine.

Regards Staffan

Back