What's new
What's new

Deep drilling annealed 440c

Chrispy87

Plastic
Hey guys I'm looking for deep hole drilling advice. I need 90+ holes through annealed 440c. 1.800" depth, 5/64 diameter. (Yes that's like 24xD I know.) Drilling is done in a HAAS TM1P using a HSS jobber length bit.

Currently drilling half way and flipping to drill backside. They don't have to line up perfectly for our application they just need to exist.

Wondering how others with more experience would attack this to drill it without setting it up twice.

Walter offers up to 40xD solid carbide drills, not sure as to if they carry one that suits your application. We do hundreds of 25xD holes everyday in H1000 15-5. Spot, Pilot, Thru Coolant and blast all the way to the bottom without pecking.

We use a similar ratio HSCO drill, but I can't remember how deep the hole actually is.

Haas has some G72 high speed drilling cycles you can take advantage of. If doing conventional peck drilling, those high speed cycles can make a big difference in drilling rapidly for the first 3/4 inch while the chip flow is good, and then the pecking can start. I'd peck at about 1xD per peck, and withdraw to clear. Sometimes might peck 2 or 3 times with only a chip break move before a full retract, but that would be when there is enough room in the drill flutes for 2 or 3 parallel chips to form. Aggressive enough feed is critical to get a chip that flows up the flute, instead of creating a crumbly flute packing mess.

I hate pecking when avoidable, just too hard on finish, tools and time. after my first coolant through drill I wondered how I lived without them. Now I have an adapter and coolant system for nearly every machine that can drill. High pressure coolant works best and is worth the trouble setting up. However I should mention most of the deeper (over 5xD) holes I drill are over 1/2" dia. And usually on manual machines. But if I go deep, I go coolant through whenever possible. Good luck.

Back