What's new
What's new

Deleting CNC programs through code

Tyler_PCS

Plastic
Hello everybody! New member here and my first post! I work in a CNC shop doing process improvement.

One of my first issues is to tackle operators forgetting to delete programs out of the machines and re-running the same programs into different jobs. Everything we do runs out of a main program so we are sub calling all of the programs for machining. So is there any way to delete the old toolpath program while in the main program? In a perfect world i would like to start the main program, run our probe cycle and pick up the job, run the toolpathing program, and then right here when i return to the main i would like to delete that toolpath file that was just ran so that it is not in the control when the operator goes to run the next job. Is there any way to do this? I have done hours of searching and could not come up with anything. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hello everybody! New member here and my first post! I work in a CNC shop doing process improvement.

One of my first issues is to tackle operators forgetting to delete programs out of the machines and re-running the same programs into different jobs. Everything we do runs out of a main program so we are sub calling all of the programs for machining. So is there any way to delete the old toolpath program while in the main program? In a perfect world i would like to start the main program, run our probe cycle and pick up the job, run the toolpathing program, and then right here when i return to the main i would like to delete that toolpath file that was just ran so that it is not in the control when the operator goes to run the next job. Is there any way to do this? I have done hours of searching and could not come up with anything. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

i always check that newly downloaded program with version number checked, is always on the control its at the top of the checklist on operating the cnc.
any operator can change program to make a tolerance and not change program back to original. and of course program on control can be out of date. i never would trust any program left on a cnc is a current unaltered program.

..... when i return to the main i would like to delete that toolpath file that was just ran so that it is not in the control when the operator goes to run the next job. .....

For starters, it would be helpful if you at least mentioned what control(s) you were hoping to do this on.

For Fanuc or Mitsubishi, I've never seen a stand-alone machine set up to be able to do this. Machines in cells often are set up to allow the cell controller to manage the programs in memory.

A machine builder could provide the ability to delete programs through their ladder program, but again, never seen that in a standard machine configuration.

A program cannot be deleted through another program. It needs to be deleted in EDIT mode.
EDIT mode > PROG > O1234 > DELETE
This will delete prog number 1234.
To delete a range, type O1000,O2000 followed by DELETE. This will delete all programs lying between 1000 and 2000 (both included.

Depending on controls, it may be simpler to add a simple macro that flips a variable to make the programme not run-able again with out actually deleting it - resetting the variable, ergo if they have to they can, but it takes a conscious not accidental act like just hitting a green button once too many times.

Only takes a couple of lines, first reads the variable that has to be x or bellow or stops, second line adds 1 to the variable. The exact how too need the details of the control, but pretty much any control that allows macro - variables can then do this.

Back