What's new
What's new

Delta 20 rs232 loading

legacyironworks

Aluminum
I've been able to do some simple ops with the conversational mode of my dynapath, but now I want to do some more complex stuff. I've written a program in cad/cam, and have been trying to send it to the control with no luck. I've set the communications settings in post processor according to the machine manual, nothing. I've verified that the cable is configured according to the manual, and tried every concievable com port on the computer, still no luck. I've tried everything I can think of and the control just sits Idle when I set to load and transmit. Any suggestions?

are you using the cad/cam software for the download or are you saving to a text file then downloading via hyperterminal?

i have been able to send files back and forth using these settings using dolphin partmaster comms:

9600 baud
parity-none
data bits - 8
stop bits - 1
timeout - 2
emulation - dumb
echo - remote
handshake - hardware
output flow control - none
monitor dsr - disable
input flow control -
dtr - on
rts - on

i've also been able to use codeshark as a dnc program.

i built the 3 conductor cable shown in post #16 of this thread:
dynapath delta 20 post processor Pro/E/Man - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web

just as a sanity check, do you have any serial devices you can connect to your computer to check the functionality of your serial port? my laptop had some settings buried deep that i had to change to make the serial port work.

i do remember it wasn't straight forward as the manual stated and i'd be starting from scratch if i lost my settings. hopefully this helps. i'm not much of a computer person, just bang my head against the wall until it does what i need it to do.

Mike

here is the wiring pinout courtesy of '6handicap':

The easiest solution is to just buy a "null modem" cable, available at radio shack etc for 10/12 dollars it is configured as above. Any extention cables or gender changers must be straight thru or will undo null modem(switch them back).
I made up my own cable using a 3 conductor shielded cable as follows:

2----------------------3
3----------------------2
7----------------------5
|
|

you tie clear to send to ready to send and data set ready to data terminal ready on the PC side(required signals for pc)
Dynapath does not require these signals if you use Xon/Xoff option, uses control characters(ascii) to control data flow. Data format must be as stated in previous post in PC communication config. Again, baud rates must match on PC and control and xon/xoff option selected. You can also pick up a comm tester for about 15.00, install between pc and control, can see data flow on flashing led's, and high low signals.

Back