What's new
What's new

Delta EL VFD Braking woes

pescadoman

Plastic
Spent time on the phone and emailing Delta. Issue is, my braking module/resistor doesn't really do the task I bought it for.. I have a 13x40 Microweilly and wanted the chuck to stop QUICKLY. It has a 6.25 chuck and a 2 hp motor...not a lot of mass there. After messing with just about every parameter we could think of, it just doesn't want to stop fast. It will brake and then cost at a certain rpm. This all takes a min of 4 secs, depending on rpm. On the decal(ramp to stop..linear) I can't even set it to less than 1 sec or the vfd will completely disengage all braking and it coasts. Watching the module, the brake light comes on very briefly and then goes out. From what I understand, the resistors should get a bit warm. This isn't the case at all, regardless of how often I start/stop. DC injection braking doesn't seem to help either. Delta gave me a ton of different things to try, but nothing seems to work. This is a 3hp EL series vfd on a 2hp 2 speed motor, if that matters. The braking mod is BUE-20037 and the resistors are a pair of Delta resistors that the manual lists. Everything is Delta and nothing seems to work....

I'm also trying to integrate the foot brake into the equation, as the lever controls work properly via the low voltage buss on the VFD. I'd like the break to send a stop signal to the drive that is reset when I put the control lever in neutral.

I thank you in advance for any assistance.

When I troubleshoot braking systems with resistors, the first questions I answer are:

1. What is the drive DC bus voltage during braking
2. What is the voltage on the resistor during braking
3. What is the braking resistor current during braking

With that information you can start to figure out what is happening.

A more extreme measure is dump the resistor and put a regen unit on it. I have never used one, but Bonitron is a well known company. I have no idea on pricing. You may want to call them. That 15 amp unit looks like it may be perfect for you.

User Manual

When I troubleshoot braking systems with resistors, the first questions I answer are:

1. What is the drive DC bus voltage during braking
2. What is the voltage on the resistor during braking
3. What is the braking resistor current during braking

With that information you can start to figure out what is happening.

2. Spikes at 90v very briefly..
3. I thought I could measure current with my amp gauge, but apparently not.

Back