Thread: Dense working

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking robot loading, machine features, collet open and eject part into the parts catcher, open door and load another part.

The nachi robots are supposed to be just a hair faster than the fanucmate. That said. They havent gotten back to me yet and I usually get pissed when several days go by without a company replying to me and buy what I know works...which is fanucmate.

I would run this lights out. We have 2 shifts now but have been talking about bringing on a light 3rd shift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    I was thinking robot loading, machine features, collet open and eject part into the parts catcher, open door and load another part.

The nachi robots are supposed to be just a hair faster than the fanucmate. That said. They havent gotten back to me yet and I usually get pissed when several days go by without a company replying to me and buy what I know works...which is fanucmate.

I would run this lights out. We have 2 shifts now but have been talking about bringing on a light 3rd shift.

I got this in an email from Yamazen this morning, looks like something that might work for lights out.

FLEX2 - CNC Machine Tools

3. Likes Fal Grunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lastrada View Post
    I got this in an email from Yamazen this morning, looks like something that might work for lights out.

FLEX2 - CNC Machine Tools
    That's my first employee! When they came out with that I spent a lot of time discussing it with my salesman. Apparently Yamazen's new building in Chicago will have a production floor where customers can see them run and *potentially* test run parts.

My someday want/wish is to have a M140 next to my S1000 with a Flex 2 in between.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    A GT27 would be a lot nicer machine than the Omni Turn.............................
    OP if a GT27 is the right machine for this job I have one that I need out of my shop because I'm downsizing... $3k and it's yours!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

have pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    So...............14-15 seconds per hole? Just machine time? No load/unload? Say 14.5 seconds x 20k/month=80 hrs and some change. That 2 full NONSTOP shifts. How much time to load and unload in a VMC/fixture set up or a robot loading a single part into a turning center? A bot ain't gonna keep up with the load unload of that Omni Turn vid....................Bot has to wait for the door to open............move in to the machine.................grab/open collet...........swap part/clamp........move out of the machine..............close the door. How much time would that be? Another 14-15 seconds? More? Less?......................Then your up to 160 hrs at a minimum...............Gonna run lights out? 2nd shift?
    The omni is really, really slow

you are not paying attention to the numbers

run 10-40 per door open

10-40 per tool change

yes the omni is fast on the part change but every part gets a tool change, every part gets a load unload

single part in a vmc is slow, but you can do multiples

8. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds not robust at all and very time consuming and expensive to setup.
    If you're talking about the vibratory bowl feeder, I wouldn't agree. We used them extensively to feed titanium bolts and they're very robust. In fact, you might even consider having one feed your robot. You can buy the bowl ready to plug into your system. You send a bunch of parts to the bowl company and they design the feed ramp parts so everything feeds right.

10. Likes TDegenhart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TO me the fundamental question is: What do you anticipate the cycle time to be on a lathe, loaded however it may be?

I think the machining time will be markedly slower, and the multiple tool changes for every part and handling[robotic or otherwise] for every part will cost time

But will the much faster individual loading time make up for it?

The issue being that if the process is not robust enough to really run lights out, you are going to be up against it

As you approach 30 seconds per part you are at the point where you have to run more than one shift, or more than one machine, in order to get 20k in a month [160 hours]

I think a Speedio would do my aluminum parts in something like 4-5 seconds per hole, due the much faster tool changes and faster tapping

I personally would be much more comfortable with a process that means I can work one shift and get the months work done in 2 weeks than one which means I must run multiple shifts to do it

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got a question.

From what I've read (and I may have missed something). 100,000 parts. 20k a month.

Its a drill and tap, a single hole, on 100k parts. And you don't even get to mark up the material.

How much money is involved here? I'd guess $10k on the low end, $100k on the absolute high end,
    probably somewhere around 25 cents each.. Just my guess, and I am NOT good on this high qty
    stuff.

Custom vibratory bowls, a new machine, a fricken robot?? 5000 a day for the next 2 years is a
    totally different story. 5000 a week for 5 months... do what you have to do, suffer through it
    and put the money in the bank.

13. Likes gustafson, Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The prototype Flex2 was installed at my old day job. It has a Nachi robot in it and vision system. Last time I stopped in they had a robot feeding and unloading the conveyors because humans weren't keeping up.

#speediomafia #speedioproblems

Incidentally, the original Flex was for smaller parts and could be configured for a drawer system or a conveyor IIRC. I'm sure BROTHERFRANK knows better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    The prototype Flex2 was installed at my old day job. It has a Nachi robot in it and vision system. Last time I stopped in they had a robot feeding and unloading the conveyors because humans weren't keeping up.

#speediomafia #speedioproblems

Incidentally, the original Flex was for smaller parts and could be configured for a drawer system or a conveyor IIRC. I'm sure BROTHERFRANK knows better.
    Just watched that video

that door WTF! I would lose my mind watching that

19 seconds part handling time augghhh!

In this process potentially more handling time than spindle time?

No way!

the PLC on my DMG suuuuuucks.
    tool call
    rapid to wait position
    door open
    wait for door open confirm
    change tool
    close door
    rapid to wait position
    resume program

I mean, why doesn't the door open first before anything happens!!!

years it has driven me nuts

16. Likes DavidScott liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

have pics?
    Yessir:

I bought this off a local company through a friend. Had heard a lot of really good things about these machines over the years and got a good deal so I jumped on it... Afterwards stopped long enough to think about how I'd want to run the parts I had in mind and very quickly realized I would actually need a sub-spindle lathe with live tools to get the parts I wanted done without an unreasonable amount of standing in front of the machine, as I'm largely a one man show and don't have the time to babysit the machine.

Ended up sending the parts I had in mind for this to a company in the USA that runs them on a swiss and does them beautifully and literally cheaper than I could make them in-house, so this machine has sat doing nothing!

It has a parts catcher and an auto door, was full of stainless chips and straight cutting oil when I bought it.

18. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post