Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

YG1 supplies their powder metal aluminum rougher with a flat as a standard option. Iím using a 1/2Ē one now as my standard rougher, and I have a destiny diamondback 3/8Ē also in the machine. Iíve had good luck with the YG1 tool and itís about a third the price of the destiny version and has a slightly longer LOC with roughly the same gage length which I find very helpful.

2. Likes 2outof3, eaglemike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Not just an ER holder... but it looks like an ER20 or 25?

Let's just say that I know 3 Speedio spindles that were killed when people thought it would be a good idea to put a big roughing end mill in ER20/25.

Someone needs to start stocking 3/8" and 1/2" high quality aluminum roughing end mills with weldon flats for the BT30 crowd, especially given what a bunch of administrative overhead bullshit this industry throws in our faces to get stuff. I had Destiny do weldons on my 3/8" Diamondbacks, and it was a call to Destiny to get a quote, a call to my distributor to get them to order that quote, a call 2 days later to approve that quote... What a fucking shit show.
    It may not be sexy but the Hanita 3 flute powdered metal .5 with 1.1 LOC (with Weldon shank) is just about as reliable and straight forward as you can get. Not sexy just works every day. Kind of like me

Cleveland Twist Drill built one when I first met BROTHERFRANK that was his go to. It was the one he got close to 90 Cu Inch removal on with a TC-S2D 10K spindle. It was under $50 and it was awesome in a BT30. They decided to improve the grind and completely screwed it up. I thought Frank was going to have a stroke when he called them about it. They kept telling him it was better and he kept telling them they had screwed it up. The Hanita and the Fullerton one are just good and reliable.

4. Likes eaglemike, DethloffMfg liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How do powdered metal cutters hold up, cutting 6061 @ 16k RPM?

Regards.

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iím not running mine 12 hours a day or anything, but I havenít seen any wear yet. I got a 1/2Ē diamondback as well and was thinking Iíd try the powder metal and then swap to compare, but itís just running great so I havenít bothered yet. I will say that on the YG1 version the grind is quite different than a diamondback. The diamondback appears to be basically a standard aluminum style end mill with chip break grooves. The YG1 has a lot more chip breakers, itís more similar in profile to a corncob rougher. I will say that it is LOUD, but the load meter doesnít reflect that itís working hard. Donít know what thatís about. The chips are fantastic tiny little things that clear so easily and compact really well.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Someone needs to start stocking 3/8" and 1/2" high quality aluminum roughing end mills with weldon flats for the BT30 crowd, especially given what a bunch of administrative overhead bullshit this industry throws in our faces to get stuff. I had Destiny do weldons on my 3/8" Diamondbacks, and it was a call to Destiny to get a quote, a call to my distributor to get them to order that quote, a call 2 days later to approve that quote... What a fucking shit show.
    It used to be Maritool but I just checked and they only stock 1/2" and up with flats, it used to be 3/8" and up. The good news is they now offer more loc options. I think for 1//4" and up corncob roughers for aluminu Maritool is the best value, and often one of the best performers. I will email them to see if they would stock at least 3/8" with flats too.
    As for Destiny Tool you can order from a company next door to them, hint hint, and get really good service with free 2 day shipping. If you don't see a tool on their website email them and it will be up in a few hours, in a hurry call.

8. Likes CosmosK liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to put almost every carbide end mill in collets, due to no flats. Now I'm getting what I can from Mari, and putting flats as needed.
    The powdered metal 1/2" rougher referenced above is a workhorse. Seems to last forever at 10K in 6061.Found a few for $28 a while back on Amazon, now they are around $68. The 1/2" rougher from Mari is pretty much the same in performance, just went and looked, and Mari price is better. IIRC the Mari tools are a little quieter. I'll be buying more Mari. I'm not super aggressive on width of cut, staying conservative at maybe 30% so the tools last a loooong time and still get done pretty quick.

10. Likes 2outof3 liked this post