What's new
What's new

Designing and Building a DIY 4th Axis with Brake

mukanico

Plastic
Hello,

I would like to present the latest addition to my workshop. It’s a 150mm DIY 4th axis (based on a harmonic drive reduction) with an electromagnetic disk brake.

The basis of the project is a 100:1 reduction harmonic drive imported from Japan. For compactness, I went for one of their CSD units (CSD-25-100-2A-GR-SP) which has an overall length of just 17mm and an OD of 85mm. The rated torque for this model is 47Nm at 2000RPM, with a limit of 110Nm for repeated torque.

The input of the harmonic drive is driven by a 4.6Nm closed-loop stepper motor (Nema 34). The output side is attached to a 40mm OD shaft supported by a pair of P5 precision tapered roller bearings (32008 XA P5), with the assembly being held inside a 120mm cubed steel housing.

The interesting part of this project is, in my view, the electromagnetic brake. Most of the DIY 4th axis builds I found online that are based on harmonic drives don’t include a brake. This results in some performance issues, as the harmonic drives are noticeably not very torsionally stiff devices. As an example, for drive I chose, a 10Nm torque at the output results in a torsional displacement of 76 arcsec. That’s a linear displacement of 28 microns at a radius of 75mm. This means that we are limited to doing only very light machining or very small parts...

Since I plan to use this 4th axis mostly just for indexing, having a brake mostly solves this problem of stiffness.

The brake is composed of an aluminium disk attached to the main shaft through an axial flexure (I had to go through 2 versions of the flexure until I found the right design). By default, the disk is pressed by a steel plate against a stationary aluminium housing. This plate is preloaded by 8 stacks of belleville (spring) washers held on M5 socket head screws. The spring preload, which sets the braking torque, can be adjusted by tightening or loosening the M5 screws.

Having aluminium as the braking surfaces might seem an odd choice, but this combination of materials actually has a pretty high static coefficient of friction (around 1.0 depending on where you source the data). Since the purpose of this “brake” is to lock the 2 surfaces together and not do any actual breaking (i.e. surfaces sliding together), I don’t anticipate too many problems of wear or galling of the aluminium surfaces. But I might be wrong :nutter:, and if I am a new disk and housing can be easily made out of different materials.

When it comes to how the brakes are actuated, there are plenty of methods available to choose from (hydraulic, pneumatic, hydraulic over pneumatic, etc.). I went for an electromagnetic actuation as it was quite easy to integrate neatly into the 4th axis and straightforward to connect to the machining centre this will go into.

The actuator consists of a 700 turn, 0.65mm enamelled copper wire coil inserted in the front face of the steel bearing block. At rest, the gap between the steel plate that preloads the brake and the steel bearing block is 0.2mm. When the coil is energised with a current of 2.4A, the magnetic forces pull the steel plate away from the aluminium disk, hence releasing the brake. Once the steel plate is stuck to the steel bearing block, the current can be reduced to half (about 1.2A) as to not overheat and burn the coil. In practice, this is achieved by connecting a resistor in series with the coil through a delay relay.

The measured holding torque for the optimal preload was about 90Nm which seems reasonable for a 4th axis of this size that will be used mostly for machining aluminium parts. The measured backlash (which comes from both the hysteresis losses inside the harmonic drive and the discrete steps of the stepper motor) was about 18 arcsec under no load.

I hope this can be of use/inspiration to anyone thinking of building a DIY 4th axis.

I will include a few images of this project next.

Cheers

Here are the photos:

The 3D CAD model
CAD.jpg

The harmonic drive
IMG_1.jpg

Machining the steel bearing housing
IMG_3.jpg
IMG_4.jpg

Turning the main shaft
IMG_5.jpg

The main shaft and bearing preload lock nut
IMG_6.jpg

Machining the brake disk (version 2.0)
IMG_14.jpg

Brake disk inside the brake housing
IMG_15.jpg

Winding the brake coil
IMG_2.jpg

Brake coil and steel bearing housing
IMG_7.jpg
IMG_8.jpg

Layout of parts (with an earlier version of the brake disk)
IMG_9.jpg

Beginning of assembly
IMG_10.jpg
IMG_11.jpg

Preloading of the bearings with a custom made socket
IMG_12.jpg
IMG_13.jpg

Assembly of the harmonic drive
IMG_20.jpg
IMG_22.jpg

Assembly of the brake subassembly and face plate
IMG_26.jpg

IMG_16.jpg
IMG_21.jpg

Closed-loop stepper motor installed
IMG_23.jpg

Stepper motor housing (a 3D printed part in ABS with a fibreglass reinforced outer shell)
IMG_18.jpg

4th axis installed in the machining centre
IMG_25.jpg

Thanks for posting this, you did a nice job. What kind of drill/tapping machine is it mounted to?

Thanks. It's a Brother TC-215, or at least its bones. I did a full retrofit on it a while back (new controller + servos + drives).

Cheers

I also retrofitted a Brother machine, did you do a Linux CNC retrofit?

It's a neat machine. I quite like their toolchanger design.

At first I considered doing the retrofit with either LinuxCNC or one of the Windows based solutions, but when I added up the costs of the pc+cards+screen+etc it made more sense to me to go with a standalone controller. I went with one from these guys ShenZhen GuanHong Automation Co.,LTD. and so far I'm happy with it. It has some quirks but it does the job.

Cheers

It's a neat machine. I quite like their toolchanger design.

At first I considered doing the retrofit with either LinuxCNC or one of the Windows based solutions, but when I added up the costs of the pc+cards+screen+etc it made more sense to me to go with a standalone controller. I went with one from these guys ShenZhen GuanHong Automation Co.,LTD. and so far I'm happy with it. It has some quirks but it does the job.

Cheers

Which model did you get? These controls are the same as GSK, but their prices are a bit better.

Color me impressed! :D

When I saw the title I thought "here we go again" but OP actually built it and posted up good pics. Nice work!

Which model did you get? These controls are the same as GSK, but their prices are a bit better.

I went for the SZGH‐CNC1500MDb‐4 because it fitted perfectly in the space left by the original Brother controller. I also have a SZGH-CNC990TDb-2 controller on a Emco 120 lathe that I retrofitted.

I went for the SZGH‐CNC1500MDb‐4 because it fitted perfectly in the space left by the original Brother controller. I also have a SZGH-CNC990TDb-2 controller on a Emco 120 lathe that I retrofitted.

That's the one I found. Price is decent. How easy was it to set up, how is the response/acceleration?

(sorry for derailing this away from your 4th axis, me and sbaer have a few brothers :P)

Back