What's new
What's new

rubber or other insert in barrel bore for vibration

Karl_T

Cast Iron
My son purchased this mori seiki lathe last fall
YouTube

Just got it up and running.

He plans to profile and chamber rifle barrels for me. He had heard about inserting rubber or silicone in the barrel bore to help with vibration issues. The cutting will get a long ways from any support and this is a likely issue.

Can anyone comment on this idea or have another suggestion for working on very long L/D rounds in a CNC lathe?

Karl

I have never done so but think the plastic wax/ hot dip coating may be good for that.
McMaster-Carr

Also have not run a CNC lathe but if having a spindle bore that runs true one might make a centering device for the barrel end having a probe made for each size/caliber. Tube may be short enough for a spider(?).

I've never done that, but I know there definitely is room for black arts in turning. :)
Wood does a good job of dampening vibration, too. I had a job one time where I was turning a 6" pipe with a .1" wall. The only way to get rid of harmonics was to use a Garland mallet and press the handle against the OD and the cast head against the X axis saddle. Don't ask me how I did that with the spindle running. :)

Another idea I had but never tried is to fill a hollow pipe, barrel, etc. with sand. You know how much vibration sand will absorb underneath a concrete pad.... right?

I've never done that, but I know there definitely is room for black arts in turning. :)
Wood does a good job of dampening vibration, too. I had a job one time where I was turning a 6" pipe with a .1" wall. The only way to get rid of harmonics was to use a Garland mallet and press the handle against the OD and the cast head against the X axis saddle. Don't ask me how I did that with the spindle running. :)

I was making shift levers some years back from 6" to just over 2 feet long out of 5/8 x .188 wall DOM tube. I made something that looked like a heavy duty clothes pin out of a hickory hammer handle with "O" rings on it to keep it tight. It was bolted onto the face of the finish turning tool holder and would rub just a bit at the tool went along. As I recall we would get 25 to 30 levers out of one and then we had to replace it. I kept a few of them soaking in coolant as they seemed to work better when they were about half water logged.

Thanks for the ideas, will most certainly try the wood suggestion - I've done that with a hammer handle on the 10EE.

Re - rubber bands. can you explain more?

Karl

Thanks for the ideas, will most certainly try the wood suggestion - I've done that with a hammer handle on the 10EE.

Re - rubber bands. can you explain more?

Karl

Re: Rubber Bands: I've never had to do it, but I've seen people wrap either the work or the tool holder with lots of rubber bands for vibration damping.

depends obviously on what your doing, but on thin walled parts wrapping a bunch of rubber bands around it will keep it from vibrating.
Back it the old days, when turning brake drums they wrap a rubber belt around the outside to reduce chatter.

Back