What's new
What's new

Details needed

dkayne

Plastic
I'm a newbie and have a used helical index bit that i need more information on so i can get the right bits and screws for it.

The only designation on ti is 020130.

I have search but not found anything that resembles it close enough to look for parts20200324_102153.jpg

I'm going to ask a question I hope you don't take offense to...

Whats a self acclaimed newbie gonna cut with that? It's a serious cutting tool that can eat alot of power, with alot of insert and body cost, not something I'd expect to see a newbie running. But maybe I see a newbie buying it thinking it was a good deal. Lots of impressive gold inserts for not alot of money to buy "used" or even new old stock.
AND there is a good reason they are now kinda cheap...they eat alot of power and you need a honking machine to push them with that many inserts; along with a rigid as hell setup. If you don't push the inserts they just rub, bang and wear away taking a toll on your machine and pocket.

If I'm off base...sorry.

A lot of power, a lot of force, require a lot of rigidity. Years ago Valenite sold us a group of similar (but even worse) cutters. For the most part they were pretty much unusable. And we were using them in 50 taper machines. At least this one has staggered inserts. The ones we were sold had 2 inserts on one side 3 on the other. Zero rake axial and radial.

Yes I bought it many years back thinking just as you said. My machine probable can’t handle it, but it’s been sitting on the shelf and I need to use it or sell it.

Just what are you going to try to run that thing in? B-port, some minimill? Forget it. You need a STIFF milling machine, 40 taper, at least 15 - 20 hp, heavy feeds. Nu-b's will be completely out of their depth with that cutter. Probably an Ingersoll, There is an ingersoll thread here, see if they recognise that number. If so they will have the screws and inserts. Be prepared to pay 20-25.00 each for the inserts. Run it in a flexy flier milling machine and get a good chatter going and you will kill those inserts in a heartbeat. Sell it if you can.

Yes I bought it many years back thinking just as you said. My machine probable can’t handle it, but it’s been sitting on the shelf and I need to use it or sell it.

Tools like that you will wind up paying more for the screws and inserts then its gonna sell for.

Tools like that are early technology when they had overly heavy built CNC milling machines that ran slow with lots of power behind them. Old school is to hog as much as you could on each pass. Today machining has shifted to taking muiltple quick, light cuts and that requires free-er cutting tooling.

Back