What's new
What's new

Device to load program into rs232 port on cnc

amdinc

Hot Rolled
I need a portable device to load programs into a rs 232 port on a cnc machine. Programs would be copied off a main computer using usb port or rs232 port I have not found anything searching the internet.

John

How do you connect the other end of the RS-232 cable, to the lap-top? An adapter for THAT would be WAYYYYYY too convenient!

Hmm... up-'til the mid 2000's, serial and parallel ports were standard issue on most laptops, even the cheapest bottomfeeders.
The ultra thin ones sometimes had a PCMCIA slot, for which you can get almost any adapter card from memory to modem and serial/parallel port.

My HP is from 2008 and it still has 2 (9 pin) serial and 1 parallel ports.

On edit:

If you need something all modern, you can still go with a Dell laptop and add this thing for just under $60: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...e_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

After looking over all the options and our main problem is the floppy discs themselves. I had some NOS floppys fail out of the box so it is time to change. The cheapest way is to change the floppy drive unit to one that takes a usb connector so I can use a sub flash memory device. I will still only have 1.44mb of memory but that is plenty for me. Other options were to get a $600 portable device or wire in a network but since I do have computers at each cell of machines and the floppy drive replacement is $ 21 bucks that is the way I'm going. I hate to be the one that would drop the portable $600 unit while using it.
http://www.amazon.com/Generic-SFR1M...424536702&sr=8-1&keywords=floppy+usb+emulator

John

For those going down the laptop/netbook path, I've had good success with the I/O Gear USB-to-RS232 adaptor. It has a yellow LED showing signal activity. Mounts up fine on Win.AnythingSoFar, and connects well to diverse items such as a DynaPath 50 controller and various broadcast video devices.

Chip

I use my laptop. I only operate one lathe, but, keep all my shop notes, time sheets, g-codes, etc, on my Toughbook. This works great for me, until I loose the computer. You just need to build the cable, and I would be happy to get that info from the shop in the morning, as well as the terminal program for the computer. This is a great way to go, as you would also be able to write and edit on the laptop as well as store and catalog on it.

We use a laptop as well and it works great for our situation.

One uses RS232 and the other is USB, I have a custom built box just for the lap top to keep it protected from the not so nice shop environment.

I ordered the cabling, RS232 to USB adapter and null modem (goes between the adapter and serial cable, I dunno WTF but wont work without it) for $30.

If you go that rout you will need software on the PC that lets all that work. We have cam software but there are programs like EasyDNC that I have used that work great, I think
EasyDNC is like $130 or so, there are others I am sure and maybe even some old freeware.

You wouldn't need a high end laptop by any means at all, even an 5 year old PC would handle this, just make sure to back up your files often.

I just bought a refurbished dell desktop for $100 (looks new) Includes win 7, has serial port, network conn, surplus monitor $25. Very reliable very cheap. I just setup a shares folder and load the files right to it. Or can put a usb stick in and load that way.

There has to be 100 ways to skin this cat which makes me wonder how hard you have looked.
Laptop, easy, simple, straight forward and cheap. Very common, easy and clean.
Smart phone and bluetooth or wi-fi box to plug into machine, compact, a bit of a pain to get working right.
Wireless box you can move to machines and talking to your computer network is another. How about wireless laptop to your network and 232 port?
USB to disk drive interfaces.

I do not work in your shop so I surely can not "advise" on the best way for you and the best way for anyone 10 years ago may be very different today.
(stick the part programs in the "cloud", black box to access???? Crazy new stuff but hmmm......)
The list is just about endless today.
Be thankful that you don't have to work with punched tapes anymore.
Now I can connect to, program, and monitor a machine on the other side of the globe in less than a second.
10 year old kids can get almost real time video out of China. Across your shop floor should be not a big deal.

We are sitting in the middle of an explosion of data transfer. The tricky part being how to get the Fanuc OM-A 232 port to grab it's piece..
Bob

A laptop works fine (I use an older Thinkpad for this). If you want some really portable, and USB to serial works with your machine (it may not), then you could use a small Android tablet or phone, or a Raspberry Pi.

Well...
I just went through this myself.
Previously, I upgradeded my Bridgeport DX 32 to thumb drive.
Just to get rid of the floppy.
But more recently ( In the last two weeks ) I went to Highland DNC and bought the package for three rigs for a grand.
They supplied absolutely everything, and Jerry over there took control of my computer and saved me the headaches of making all the necessary settings myself.
2 1/2 hours with him and now flawless code transmission.
I am pleased with it.
I just got tired of the foolishness.
It is currently set up to either send the entire program, or I can select DNC if the files are extensive.
So, on the first turn, I am hooked up with my Fadal mill, My Haas TM-2 and my Clausing Storm lathe.
It was worth it to me.
I did look at the stuff from India... but I figured I couldn't afford to fly over there to choke someone to death if they were selling me a bill of goods.
Jerry says his blue-tooth radio's are class A with a 200' range, and he told me they surpass his expectations.
So, anyway... I am happy with money well spent.
My 2 cents.
Mark

Back