What's new
What's new

Digital Phase Converter Question

New to the site and new to phase converters. I have two CNC machines (1 runs at 7.5HP and the other at 20HP). If I only need to run one machine at a time what is the max converter I would need.... 20HP?

Also, I will connect the phase converter to my home. Does running the phase converter in my garage affect the power in my home?

Thanks

New to the site and new to phase converters. I have two CNC machines (1 runs at 7.5HP and the other at 20HP). If I only need to run one machine at a time what is the max converter I would need.... 20HP?

Also, I will connect the phase converter to my home. Does running the phase converter in my garage affect the power in my home?

Thanks

It should only affect power in your home if the converter is drawing too much power for your service. Otherwise there will be no change to your single phase service.

I can't answer the other question.

VFD exist that can be"ganged". I'd want to avoid that, 'coz they are not the cheap ones.

Current-generation Phase-Perfect MAY be "ganged". The diagram in right in the manual. You could use two 10 HP units, so long as both WERE same, and current, models.

Mine are not. One old style "blue case" 10 HP bought used, and of uncertain remaining life expectancy. One current-generation "white case" 10 HP with warranty. OTOH, my largest 3-P load is about 7 to 7.5 HP, so I have no need of ganging them.

Are two 10 HP less-costly than a single 20 HP? I don't think so. MORE expensive, rather.

But shop around. P-T has dealers. Some do a bit of discounting.
Of course it does. If nothing else, a 20 HP load-motor sucks up a significant portion of the service entrance rated load AT LEAST for starting itself. Lights could dim briefly. But that isn't a disaster.

Service entrance rating is USUALLY optimistic as far as steady-state loads go. It is more of a peak rating that sustained- the last mile' Powerco transformer is USUALLY shared with two, three, even four residences, and normal probability of ALl of them trying to start a heavy load, same secodn is seriously low, even IF all of them are kitted-out with a "shop".

As to rude behaviour reflected back INTO the grid, or "upstream":

- A Phase-Perfect is about as good as it gets, BOTH feed and load side. Innocent as is practical to make it.

- A VFD is generally a very good citizen, utility mains side. Might be a tad rude, load side.

- A DC Drive can be a rude player to the grid and should have at least a Corcom-style RFI/EMI filter, preferably a "Drive Isolation" transformer, feed side.

- An RPC is Sine-Wave-Clean, load side, but generates artifacts up-grid from the way in which it works. Measure that upline rudeness as Total Harmonic Distortion. Unwelcome, but not really a show-stopper.

cookw,

I run a 15hp Haas Super Mini mill off a 10hp Phase Perfect. I'm >NEVER< going to bury a big rougher end mill into a piece of steel, so I doubt that I ever go beyond a 5-7hp load on the mill. I have a 70amp breaker that feeds the Phase Perfect (only have 100A total to my location!). I've never had a problem -- lights, computer, etc. in the residence pull very little current. I've even had the Haas running, and been on my Mori engine lathe at the same time -- no issues.

And fwiw: I believe a Phase Perfect will do something like 300% overload for a few seconds.

Mine has been absolutely perfect and flawless since the day I bought it. (mine as the latest generation model).

PM

I've got a 30hp Phase Perfect in my shop and the lights flicker for a second with the inrush on the caps (when I power it up). Not even as bad as when the clothes dryer fires up.

I've got mine running off a 50A breaker. The VMC (7.5hp Sharp SV-2412) is on a 30A breaker on the panel fed by the Phase Perfect. No problems.

I have a 15hp Hurco VM10i running on the 20 hp Phase perfect model. I overbought a bit so I could eventually run a three phase compressor (kaeser / atlas, etc). Its fed from a 100amp subpanel in my garage on a 70 amp breaker. Never had it trip, lights flicker, anything.

Speaking from (a bad) experience - do not waste your time with a rotary phase converter. I bought a high end one from a reputable company, and the thing was extremely loud, and the three phase power wasn't even close to balanced. I can measure my phase to phase voltages while my mill is and its less than 1V discrepancy (usually .2-.3V) between phases. Also, the rotaries waste alot of power compared to the digital phase converter.

The guys at Phase perfect will tell you which one to purchase if you tell them what the specs on the tags on the machines are, pretty simple.

I have a 15hp Hurco VM10i running on the 20 hp Phase perfect model. I overbought a bit so I could eventually run a three phase compressor (kaeser / atlas, etc). Its fed from a 100amp subpanel in my garage on a 70 amp breaker. Never had it trip, lights flicker, anything.

Speaking from (a bad) experience - do not waste your time with a rotary phase converter. I bought a high end one from a reputable company, and the thing was extremely loud, and the three phase power wasn't even close to balanced. I can measure my phase to phase voltages while my mill is and its less than 1V discrepancy (usually .2-.3V) between phases. Also, the rotaries waste alot of power compared to the digital phase converter.

The guys at Phase perfect will tell you which one to purchase if you tell them what the specs on the tags on the machines are, pretty simple.

Thou does not walk on water because you rose above a lowly RPC.

My shit works fine on RPC power. I have a couple 30 HP spindles, a 50HP spindle and just a whole lot of big shit mostly Fanuc and it all runs just fine on a 50HP RPC.

My RPC will hold nearly 177 amps @ 255 volts continuous, or for atleast 45 minutes until the part's finished. I got about $2k into it and not much trouble since 2006.

Tighten all the lugs and check the caps every year.

And no, the voltages aren't perfect, but that doesn't really matter if you hook it up right.

Back