What's new
What's new

DMG DMC103V 840D issues

markp

Hot Rolled
Im picking up a DMG DMC103V with 840D next week. Going to sellers shop to lock the spindle for moving tomorrow. Machine was purchased new and used for 180 hrs then not used since 2003 or so due to internal family company dispute, the usual loooong story. No one at the shop knows much of anything about the control, they eventually just bought a new cnc machine and this one sat.

I checked it a month or so ago and it boots, spindle runs (at low speed), machine references and jogs but gets an "MDA buffer cannot be opened error 65536006" and I wasnt able to get past that to make the control do anymore more. From looking around online that error appears to be due to a dead or dying backup battery.

So Im hoping i can get it to boot to the point where I can jog to install the spindle lock fixture. Question is if the backup battery is all the way dead, what are the options(resets, reboots etc) if any to limp the machine to minimal functionality to prep to ship? Should I install a fresh battery first?

"Looking around" makes me think you have no docs?

I don't know that control, but it sounds like you'll need to replace the battery and probably reload parameters at the least.

Machine was purchased new, the books and backups should all be there.

There's 2 versions of the control, harddrive on the high end model on a pccard on the other. but here's the procedure
the files should be stored on the hd or pccard, there may be multiple, if there are I would just select the ones with the latest dates.

810D\840D

NC & PLC Clear Procedure

1. Set S3 on the 840D NCU to position #1
2. Power on control.
3. When the control is fully powered up Press the “Reset” pushbutton on the 840D NCU
4. Wait for display on NCU to show #6
5. Set S3 to 0 and push the “Reset” pushbutton.
6. Wait for display on NCU to show #6
7. Turn S4 to Position #2 - PS LED is ON.
8. Turn S4 to Position #3 - PS LED is OFF.
9. When PS LED comes on turn S4 to Position #2 then immediately back to position #3.
10. PS LED should now be blinking.
11. Set S4 to position #0. – PR LED should go to a solid green after a few seconds.
** If it is not procedure was not done correctly. Repeat PLC steps #1 through 4.**
12. Set S4 to position #2
13. Press “Reset” pushbutton on 840D.

Note: The PLC and NC are now cleared.

then

810D\840D

NC & PLC Reload Procedure

NC Data Reload

1. Press “Menu Select”
2. Press the extension key ( > )
3. Press “Start Up”
4. Press password.
5. Press Set Password
6. Set the password “SUNRISE” (Upper Case) then press the Yellow Input Key then “OK”.
7. Bottom of display will say “Password has been set for Manufact. !”
8. Press “Menu Select”
9. Press the extension key ( > )
10. Press “Services”
11. Press “Series Start Up”
12. Press “Read Start Up Archive”
13. Select (Highlight) NC Archive file
14. Press “Start” on the control.
15. Answer the question. Series start up archive? YES if asked.
16. Note: NC goes into reset several times during this step. It may take several minutes. (5-10 min.)
17. ****Wait for the bottom to display “ Job is Ready”****
18. Press “Menu Select”
19. Press “ > ” Key
20. Press Start Up
21. Press NC Reset.
22. Press Yes.
23. You will see alarm Communication to NC failed.
24. You will see Communication to NC re-established.
25. Continue with PLC Reload

PLC Data Reload

1. Set S4 on 840D NCU to position #1.
2. Press “Menu Select”
3. Press “Services”
4. Press “Series Start Up”
5. Press “Read Start Up Archive”
6. Select (Highlight) PLC Archive file.
7. Press “Start” on the control
8. Answer the question. Series start up archive? YES if asked.
9. Wait for the bottom to display “ Job is Ready”
10. Press “Menu Select”
11. Press “  “
12. Press “Start Up”
13. Set S4 on 840D NCU to position #0.
14. Press password.
15. Press Set Password.
16. Set the password “SUNRISE” (Upper Case) then press the Yellow Input Key then “OK”.
17. Bottom of display will say “Password has been set for Manufact. !”
18. Press “ NC Reset”
19. Press “yes”
20. Power machine off then on.
21. Machine should now be ready for operation.

Thanks that’s great step-by-step information. I was able to boot the machine a couple times and get servo enabled and jog I was able to move the axis and block the spindle. Then I tried to do a tool change to remove the toolholder in the spindle and the machine locked up. Now the yellow button continue forward? Is lit and I can’t engage the service. Doesn’t really matter as I can ship it in this position. Will post updates when it’s back at the shop and powered on

side note after you do get everything reloaded there may be "h? m99" commands you run in mda to turn on features. When I've had to reload in the plc (lathe) I have to go in and turn on the chucks, bar feeder ect. DMG would have to answer that. Maybe you have to do that to turn on the tool changer?

My mistake, Its actually an 810D. Looking at the front panel I thought it was an 840D. Owners didnt know. I saw that there were 2 floppy discs in the cabinet. one was the V24 file transfer disc and the other was the parameter/OS disc (I think).

Machine is being delivered tomorrow. It actually is an 840D. There were two different receipts for the machine from DMG. Seems it was originally delivered from germany with the table locking pin in the center of table removed, so it banged around the whole trip over and damaged the machine. That invoice was for an 810D control.

Invoice # 2 is the replacement machine (same price)to which DMG added a hoffman 160 4th axis and the 840D option. Im getting that machine tomorrow with 180 hrs on it. Will post some pics. Im sure Ill have some questions once its powered up, but Im hoping it just needs a new battery and reset as above.

Machine made it back to my shop! Cant do a final install until I sell the machine its replacing but its in its temp location. All manual functions work, I can reference the axis, jogging, spindle in setup 50 rpm mode, manual tool change. Trying to write to the MDA buffer gives the same 65536006 MDA buffer error. Im going to try the procedure above to clear after I change the NCU battery. Any tips on this process would be appreciated!

Attachments

• dmc103v.jpg
    dmc103v.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 127
  • dmc103v2.jpg
    dmc103v2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 152
trying hitting the w (has 2 arrows facing down on it) and see if something changes on the screen from channel 1 to 2. If it does I think that may lead to your problem.

From what I found was something about having to disable hmi in channel 2 to get it to work. I'm thinking when the battery died the machine loaded the factory nc file that had the 2nd channel enabled and the mtb ncu/plc files have it disabled. Wait until you get a new battery and reload the mtb's ncu/plc then see if you run into the same problem

There is one key with two down arrows and 1...n above it. That key doesnt do anything at least in mode 3 and bottom key straight up when in MDI or "machine". Channel switching seems to be disabled on this machine.

I replaced the MMC battery with a new one. The old one still had 3v in it but I believe it was replaced in 2015 when someone at the company tried to use the machine.

I see that I can load and run simulations of all the programs that are in memory, though I get errors in some of them.

I did find the screen in services that looks like you could set the channel but its greyed out in any position I put the upper key in.

Also, at boot I get a "mbdde.ini didnt post init error". If I try to view alarms, I get the error mbdde.exe id not operating correctly.

Attachments

• channel.jpg
    channel.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 91
I tried this reset procedure and I was able to reset the NCK but when I tried to reset the PLC I got the error "No PLC memory reset possible". I tried the matching archive and a later one, same result. However, now I can type into the MDI window and excecute commands without the buffer error! Any idea why the PLC cant be reset?
There's 2 versions of the control, harddrive on the high end model on a pccard on the other. but here's the procedure
the files should be stored on the hd or pccard, there may be multiple, if there are I would just select the ones with the latest dates.

810D\840D

NC & PLC Clear Procedure

1. Set S3 on the 840D NCU to position #1
2. Power on control.
3. When the control is fully powered up Press the “Reset” pushbutton on the 840D NCU
4. Wait for display on NCU to show #6
5. Set S3 to 0 and push the “Reset” pushbutton.
6. Wait for display on NCU to show #6
7. Turn S4 to Position #2 - PS LED is ON.
8. Turn S4 to Position #3 - PS LED is OFF.
9. When PS LED comes on turn S4 to Position #2 then immediately back to position #3.
10. PS LED should now be blinking.
11. Set S4 to position #0. – PR LED should go to a solid green after a few seconds.
** If it is not procedure was not done correctly. Repeat PLC steps #1 through 4.**
12. Set S4 to position #2
13. Press “Reset” pushbutton on 840D.

Note: The PLC and NC are now cleared.

then

810D\840D

NC & PLC Reload Procedure

NC Data Reload

1. Press “Menu Select”
2. Press the extension key ( > )
3. Press “Start Up”
4. Press password.
5. Press Set Password
6. Set the password “SUNRISE” (Upper Case) then press the Yellow Input Key then “OK”.
7. Bottom of display will say “Password has been set for Manufact. !”
8. Press “Menu Select”
9. Press the extension key ( > )
10. Press “Services”
11. Press “Series Start Up”
12. Press “Read Start Up Archive”
13. Select (Highlight) NC Archive file
14. Press “Start” on the control.
15. Answer the question. Series start up archive? YES if asked.
16. Note: NC goes into reset several times during this step. It may take several minutes. (5-10 min.)
17. ****Wait for the bottom to display “ Job is Ready”****
18. Press “Menu Select”
19. Press “ > ” Key
20. Press Start Up
21. Press NC Reset.
22. Press Yes.
23. You will see alarm Communication to NC failed.
24. You will see Communication to NC re-established.
25. Continue with PLC Reload

PLC Data Reload

1. Set S4 on 840D NCU to position #1.
2. Press “Menu Select”
3. Press “Services”
4. Press “Series Start Up”
5. Press “Read Start Up Archive”
6. Select (Highlight) PLC Archive file.
7. Press “Start” on the control
8. Answer the question. Series start up archive? YES if asked.
9. Wait for the bottom to display “ Job is Ready”
10. Press “Menu Select”
11. Press “  “
12. Press “Start Up”
13. Set S4 on 840D NCU to position #0.
14. Press password.
15. Press Set Password.
16. Set the password “SUNRISE” (Upper Case) then press the Yellow Input Key then “OK”.
17. Bottom of display will say “Password has been set for Manufact. !”
18. Press “ NC Reset”
19. Press “yes”
20. Power machine off then on.
21. Machine should now be ready for operation.

Attachments

• plcerror.jpg
    plcerror.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 104
Hey Mark,

I know the 2-3-2 thing has to be done quickly on step 9. when you switch you have
to wait for a led, switch wait 1 second (no longer than 3 seconds) or it won't go.

I changed the PLC instructions: 1.Set S4 on 840D NCU to position #1. to 1. Set S4 on 840D NCU to position #2 and I was able to load the PLC archive. Now I can do about everything except add tools to the tool table. I get an error "cant write to magazine" and the tool data wont stick. Maybe cloning to a new drive will help that?

Hey Mark,

I know the 2-3-2 thing has to be done quickly on step 9. when you switch you have
to wait for a led, switch wait 1 second (no longer than 3 seconds) or it won't go.

can you

T1
M30

T2
M30

and change tools? M30 might not be needed but on one machine it
tried to rerun or something that the other machine didn't do without
the M30 so for safety I would use it for now

maybe key position?

Back