What's new
What's new

DMG DMC103V Laser toolsetter working but how to use?

markp

Hot Rolled
I just setup a DMG DMC103V machine here and am trying to figure out the very basic laser toolsetter. I have no docs for it, DMG wont provide any docs either even though their technicians installed and set the system up back in 2001. I found a few M codes referenced to the system in paperwork in the original technician setup files that came with the machine.

If I enter

M91
Txx
M6

With tool Txx in the spindle, the machine opens the laser shutters, moves to tool to the center of the table and drops it down into the laser, going through a cycle at the tip. L=1 appears in green at the top of the screen. After measurement, some red text flashes too quick to read and L=1 shows in red then the tool returns to the tool change position in Z.

The tool offset in Z for that tool in the tool table changes to the distance from the spindle face to the tool tip. It also seems to reset the WCS to zero as I didnt ever set it before.

For those with these systems, how do you usually use this Z data? How do you calculate the distance from the laser to the work to set the Z work offset? There is also a calibrate mode M92. With that you can calibrate the Z offset (I think).

Well now the shutters for the laser stopped moving out of the way of the laser. I think its an air leak or sticky valve, the cylinders seem to be free. I just moved the shutters out of the way for now.

Now thats Ive set the z value of the tools to the laser level, Im trying to set the work offset. The DMC implementation of the WCS on this control is really different than whats in the Siemens manual and also very different from my DMG DMC manual that came with the machine. In machine screen, I can go to scratch then press "Z0 base", which I assume is G53 the settable offset. I was able to reset x and y to zero at the work offset but not z.

Is there some trick not described in regular manuals that you need to do on a DMG DMC siemens machine to set the Z offset? I assume that if I set one tool to the work offset position, they will all be set correctly as they are all referenced to the height of the laser at their tip.

Heres what my machine and scratch screens look like. The DMG manual describes a "set zeropoint" key thats not there on my machine page. To anyone who has seen a DMG DMC screen, do these look correct?

Attachments

• IMG_5644.jpg
    IMG_5644.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5612.jpg
    IMG_5612.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
The laser shutter was a blown air line under the table, no big deal. For some reason, the tool length data that the laser added to the tools in the table blocks any changes to the Z offset. I reset all of the tool data in the magazine list to zero. So now I can change the base z offset to zero using tool 1.

Also, you can only zero one axis at a time when setting the WCS on this machine. You have to press enter, then the red slash button then the OK button.

I then went to parameters where to tool data is located. In the magazine list, I selected the active tool in the spindle. For some reason, this causes all tool info for that tool to disappear. Then I select "zero offset" press accept data, then save.

I would think that I could go to load each tool, go to the part zero and then go to the magazine list, select that tool and do the zero offset for each tool. It seems to change all the other tool z offset everytime I set the tool length for more than one tool. As if its changing the WCS instead of the actual tool offset.

Kind of flying blind here as neither the Siemens manual, or the DMG manual bears any resemblance to what my control screen looks like.

At this point, I can only run a program with one tool at a time.

If anyone has set tool lengths on a DMG DMC please give me some advice. I think the 63V and the 103V are pretty much identical as far as their siemens stuff goes. This is a 2000 machine. MMC103.

Ok I figured it out. The magazine list tool offset is not the actual tool length on this machine, its another type of WCS, I finally saw that "WCS" was written above the column! If you change a tools tool length in that list, it changes the WCS each time, thereby changing all the other tool offsets.

Heres the procedure that worked for this machine:

Set Work coordinate system.

Tool one with a Haimer installed. (set to same length in relation to the other tools off of a 4" dial indicator depth tool using the procedure below using a dummy tool with a length the same with Z collapsed to read zero on a toolsetter)

Set XY and Z using the Haimer, you can only set one axis per session.

Set axis to read zero on part, go to Scratch, go to axis to be set, key in "0000" (if you try to use the default "0.000" it wont work) hit enter key, hit // red key, hit the OK key.

Repeat for each axis, if axis didnt zero repeat.

Tool offsets:

Tool one is always the reference tool. If you look in the tool offset table it should always read zero

The work coordinate system in XYZ are all set from Tool number one

To set the offset values for each tool in a program:

Put the 4 inch dial indicator tool set it on the table. Take the tool you are setting the Z length on and touch it to the indicator at zero on the indicator

go to parameter

Go to tool list

Go to tool data

Go to offsets

Enter in the dimension in the Z value on the machine page. Period be sure you pay close attention to the positive or negative sign. (there is no calculator for Z offset in this control, all Z values are entered manually)

Press enter

Press the OK button

Go to machine, press // button, Z reads 0.

Back