What's new
What's new

DMG DMC125 5 axis

Biscuit

Plastic
Good morning and hello to everyone.

We have a DMG DMC 125U 5 Axis with a Siemens 840D control that had a problem during a tool change but the operator is unsure what happened as they usually push the cycle start button and leave the machine unattended.

Right now the ATC arm is extended to the magazine, one gripper is locked onto the tool in the magazine, the other gripper empty and a tool in the spindle. The head is in the tool change position but we are getting an X axis resting on soft limit error (might not be worded exactly but I am not on site right now to double check) and my tool arm evidently stopped rotation at 187.999 (has to be 190. in order to make switch).

Operator tried to manually recover but stated nothing would move. They then tried to use the recovery soft key but did not hold it down through the sequence and said that something moved and then stopped when letting go of the key.

Right now I am unable to move anything. When I try, I get messages informing me of what bit is missing, but no matter what sequence is attempted I get a different bit missing/not made message.

I am more familiar with older machines like the Cincinnati Maxim 500C/500D with Acramatic 900/2100 controls where no matter what, I can force bits and/or manually move anything I want. I only have some familiarity with the 840D on an Emco Hyperturn 45 but never had an issue where I could not move anything manually (it was a lathe with a parts loader so not as much going on either).

I am being told by a co-worker that we cannot force bits on this unit and will need to call in DMG. I have never seen a machine that you could not force a manual movement on. I worked on Mori Seiki SH50's that had a manual override on the ATC motor so you could complete the cycle/reset the ATC arm position but I see nothing like that on this machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, newer machines are exactly that to me, new. I learned what I know in a plant that had old Hardinge lathes, Mori Seiki SH50's and CL20's, Cincinnati Maxim 500's, and some HAAS VF series.

You will need the Siemens factory password set and depending on the version of software there should be a Deckel maho button maybe In the custom screen or menu select screen that should allow you to jog everything around. It should be in the same spot where you can adjust the chip conveyer you might have to arrow over till you find the button with a tool changer emblem and a wrench. We have a dmu 50 a dmu 70 and a ctx gamma and they all have different ways to rest the tool chain.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thank you ktmktmman. I have a tech here that referred to enabling the commissioning bit (used on initial install/set up) but he does not want to try it (or maybe does not not how). Using our maintenance/service password to get to level 6 in the control still does not allow movement of the ATC arm nor can we clear the X axis error. We have gone through the Deckel Maho tab and tried the manual operations from there as well. I will try and revisit the machine today, OEM quote was received yesterday for a potential visit. Thanks again.

Hey no problem. Have you tried calling the DMG MORI office in Charlotte, NC? They have been pretty helpful over the phone for support. Also you can try calling Steffan at Maintenance, Servicing, Sales and Consultants | All CNC Service & Sales, LLC.CNC. I have called him before with DMG problems that the US OEM office couldn't get figured out. I believe he worked for DMG in Germany then moved here to the states and worked for them for like 20 years, now he is doing his own thing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thank you again ktmktmman. We have DMG here and the tech shadowing them said that they were going to access the factory set up mode to move things around (attempt to anyway) and then check functionality of the ATC. Apparently this ATC has been crashed more than once in the past and this is not the first gear box on it. I was told that the problem with us using the commissioning bit is that all the safety circuits will be bypassed and with nobody on site "factory trained and/or authorized" it takes all kinds of approval (on our end, not DMG).
DMG did provide over the phone support but when we brought up the commissioning bit they also recommended that if we did know how to enable it (which they said we should not) they would/could not advise any further.
I will definitely look into Steffan's service as well.

Back