What's new
What's new

DMG DMU 65 MonoBLOCK Probe Snafu

KevintheCrawdad

Plastic
Hello all!

I'm currently experiencing a maddening problem with the probe in my machine. My DMU 65 is equipped with a DMG Mori PowerProbe 60 Optical that since about 9 am this morning has decided it's Friday, and it doesn't feel like working. The issue I'm having is this: the probe worked just fine this morning, and I stored it back in my magazine via tool change after use just like usual. After machining my first part, I recalled the probe as per usual and was met with the following error messages "probe stylus already in contact", "probing system not ready", "measuring tracer not on or off" (this is a TNC640 controller by the way). I've already tried the following fixes that I'm personally aware of: powering off the mill with and without the probe in it, replacing probe batteries, cleaning probe, cleaning optical sensor for probe, removing probe from the machine and tool table. I haven't yet attempted recalibration of the probe as it would mean tearing apart my entire setup, but if that's necessary then so be it. Has anyone run into this before? Thanks a bunch ya'll

I see you've replaced the probe batteries (that's always been the fix when I've had similar issues.)

This is a spindle probe and not a tool setter probe, right?

Uh, did you try wiggling/pushing (gently) on the probe tip? They do move a little bit - if it's "stuck down" that could be a problem.

(I'm assuming a PowerProbe 60 is very similar to a renishaw.... If it's some wildly different technology then never mind....)

Back