What's new
What's new

DMG Mori NLX1500SY vs Doosan Lynx 220LSYA - which do you go for?

eimim

Aluminum
So I've been looking at both of these machines for a while and I'm ready to pull the trigger in the next week or two. I live in Richardson, Texas and currently there is a weird scenario.

Doosan used to be and still is for another few days represented by AmmTech. Doosan is about to be represented in this area by Ellison since Ellison lost DMG Mori recently. I've gotten a quote from Ellison for the Doosan all decked out (LNS short bar feed, 1000psi 8 GPM fixed rate coolant pump, mist collector, Flex C collet closers on both main and sub spindles) for about $175,000 delivered in my shop.

DMG Mori have the NLX1500SY which is 11,500 pounds vs the Doosan at about 7500 pounds. Similar setup with the same 1 5/8" spindle through hole. 15hp main and sub spindle compared to the Doosan 20hp main and 7.3hp sub. All decked out with similar options is about $230,000 delivered.

Today the AmmTech rep came by not knowing I got a quote from the Ellison guy and he revised his quote for the same machine at about $160,000 delivered to my shop. I like that number a lot, but I wonder if I buy from AmmTech and Ellison takes over service for this area how screwed am I when something goes wrong? The AmmTech rep said they have a court date next week that will probably settle everything, but I'd hate to buy the Doosan and end up getting screwed on service because these guys were fighting over the area for the next who knows how long.

Is the price premium worth it for the DMG Mori? I like the extra weight of that machine, the fact that the sub and main have the same power ratings, and the fact that the live tools are a little bit better. I'm not sure what to think about CELOS since I am a one man shop and I don't need all of the workflow tracking stuff. That said, the Fanuc control on the Doosan is pretty barebones and I don't hear people ranting and raving that it is amazing.

You should take a look at the Mazak Quick Turn Universal 250MSY, which is priced to be competitive with the Doosan. Sales, service and support is local to Dallas and the machine is manufactured in Kentucky.

With the current disarray of both Doosan and DMG Mori dealer networks, I'd be worried about support.

I just traded in an NL1500SY for a DMU50. Note, I had the original version - not the "X". That was the BEST, BEST, BEST machine I ever owned. I only traded it in as we just did not have the type of work for it anymore (lights out, hi production work is what I bought it for). Our machine was 2" thru the spindle.

I have Mazak mills and one Mazak 2 axis lathe - great machine for the money but they are no Mori! I know alot of people like Doosan but I have no experience with them but I love Mori!

I work for Doosan. I have no knowledge of the situation with AmTech but I can safely tell you that under no circumstances would you be left high and dry by Doosan. In either case, AmTech or Ellison would be responsible for your service and support. But.........we at Doosan in New Jersey are always here too, with support and service and applications engineers.

Our number here is 973-618-2500

Paul Anderson
Applications Engineer
Doosan Infracore USA

Edit: The Fanuc Oi control is no way near a bare bones control. The Doosan Oi has some really nice features.

What is the difference between the LSYA and LSY?
I got a killer deal on a demo unit in January for the Lynx 220LSY and have been very happy with it. We bought it for a production run of aluminum parts that get 2-10 minutes of lathe work but 1-1.5 hours of milling. We've prob only ran it 4 months or so straight this year but lots of +/-.0001 +/-.0002 shafts and bores

Id check out Nakamura if you are looking to run lights out with a bar feeder...

There is the LSYA which has a spindle through hole of 1 5/8 and 6000 rpm main spindle and the LSYC is 2+" and 5000 RPM. It's always good to hear from people that are happy with their machines, so I appreciate it dstryr. Not really looking to run lights out, but I do want a good quality machine that I can count on for a good long time.

There is the LSYA which has a spindle through hole of 1 5/8 and 6000 rpm main spindle and the LSYC is 2+" and 5000 RPM. It's always good to hear from people that are happy with their machines, so I appreciate it dstryr. Not really looking to run lights out, but I do want a good quality machine that I can count on for a good long time.

Ah okay. I have the LSYC then. Its a 2.625 bore through and a 5000 rpm chuck. Been very happy with it.

Depends on the avg tolerances you expect to hold over a night of lights out. If they are tight, Mori.

We were holding .0002" via interpretation on our Mori on an aluminum part. We would run 2000 parts lights out with no offset on a crap floor in a non AC shop (old shop). Nothing like a Mori!!!

Got prices for exactly same machines. Less LNS bar feed and HPC both machines with sub-spindle. Wonder why would there be such a big difference in price I am in NY $168k for Dmg Mori NLX 1500SY (box ways 2. Dia thru)and $125k for Doosan Lynx 220LSYC (roller ways 2.5 dia thru)
Doosan is a nice machine but really like the Mori

Got prices for exactly same machines. Less LNS bar feed and HPC both machines with sub-spindle. Wonder why would there be such a big difference in price I am in NY $168k for Dmg Mori NLX 1500SY (box ways 2. Dia thru)and $125k for Doosan Lynx 220LSYC (roller ways 2.5 dia thru)
Doosan is a nice machine but really like the Mori

I just sent you an email through the forum to see if you could forward over your quotes to me so I can ask my sales people what the deal is. It should be coming from [email protected].

This is just my opinion about comparing both brands products in this case should be Doosan Puma 2100 SY. Vs. DMG Mori NLX 2000 SY

I'd ask if tool/axis load monitors are included in those prices, if you're planning on running anything near unattended/lights out. We had to add Fanuc's aftermarket spindle-load monitors (iLimitS) onto some of our 0i-TD equipped controls, and it was NOT cheap. Stepping up to the adaptive load monitor (iAdaptS) would be even more I bet...

Maybe the Doosan has something similar included, but with a Fanuc control, you better ask up-front, cause it's gonna cost you big to upgrade... My guess is that any control sold on the Mori will have axis/spindle load monitors. On Okuma, load monitor is standard, and on a Mazak, basic spindle load monitor is a few hundred bucks. Spindle-load monitor for Fanuc iLimitS will set you back many thousands of dollars... Ask me how I know all this... :(

I'd ask if tool/axis load monitors are included in those prices, if you're planning on running anything near unattended/lights out. We had to add Fanuc's aftermarket spindle-load monitors (iLimitS) onto some of our 0i-TD equipped controls, and it was NOT cheap. Stepping up to the adaptive load monitor (iAdaptS) would be even more I bet...

Maybe the Doosan has something similar included, but with a Fanuc control, you better ask up-front, cause it's gonna cost you big to upgrade... My guess is that any control sold on the Mori will have axis/spindle load monitors. On Okuma, load monitor is standard, and on a Mazak, basic spindle load monitor is a few hundred bucks. Spindle-load monitor for Fanuc iLimitS will set you back many thousands of dollars... Ask me how I know all this... :(

Well yes.... Fanuc...
I believe most of today's and all of future Mori models will be non-Fanuc.
Currently, there is no Fanuc option for NLX and Eco series machines. Mits, Heidi and Siemens only.
Not a bad idea IMHO.

The mits is just interface, its still fanuc driven. You do not necessarily NEED load monitoring for lights out, although it is alot easier. Programming, tooling choice, speeds&feeds, and placement of coolant lines are all thats needed. Dont get greedy and run balls to the wall, maybe even have two versions with one thats unattended-friendly.

If you are running 1" and under, you should be looking at swiss machines. We could never be competitive unless we were above the size that could be done on a swiss

Back