What's new
What's new

Dmu 65 monoblock

davids4

Plastic
Hi we thinking to buy a used DMG dmu 5 axis 65 monoblock
Its from 2012 in a price tag of 175,000$
was working in shifts.
My question is : is there anyone here familiar with the machine?
Is it worth the price?
Thinks
By the way we have a workshop for injection plastic molds

was working in shifts.
Is it worth the price?
Thinks

$175K price tag... Would depend on number of tools and other options I think.

If you don't need the Z travel / height of the DMU 65mb the NEW DMU 50 3rd gen might be worth a look.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/new-machine-day-finally-dmu-50-3rd-gen-351335/
^^^^
Nashero is the only one that I know of that has bought a DMU 50 3rd gen

If you don't need a ton of options the 3rd Gen can be fairly reasonable.

I think "Nahser's" may have gotten temporarily stuck on finding a more "capacious " and quiet Air system or compressor.

Just curious @davids4 do you guys use SolidCam by any chance; the guy who created the software is based (in Tel aviv I think) (real genius)… Just wondered if SolidCam had "local presence"

Thanks.

E

Hi
The machine have 40 tools
Have renishaw with laser tool measure.
About Solid Cam
We use cimatron ( that is also an Israeli program)
In Israel its divided to 60% use solid cam and 40% use cimatron I guess..

was working in shifts.
Is it worth the price?
Thinks

"Was working in shifts" is what would concern me.

How many hours of actual cutting (spindle hours) time does the machine have?

Scales ?

Direct drive DDRT type trunnion ?

What control ?

Does the machine have TSC (Thru spindle coolant and advanced filtration options ?).

Do you have a picture(s) of the machine you can share?

Any automation options ?

What spindle ?

etc. etc.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

For a machine that had more "Casual" use $175 K would be right on the money. Any more then that's too much, any less then you have to ask "What's wrong with the machine ???" and raise at least one eyebrow.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

5 axis machines in general loose a lot of value pretty quickly. In the case of the DMU 65 (mb) back in 2012 I think they were lot more expensive than what they are being offered for NOW. Sometimes second hand older machines (price wise) get stuck between and "rock" and a "Hard-place" as a MTB (Machine tool builder) can offer the same model (improved) effectively for less money for a more current machine. @Davids4 I think I'd have the machine inspected really carefully because that spindle may be on the edge of needing to be replaced. (not cheap).

That's why I say if you don't need the Z travel + additional height of the DMU 65 (mb), then the DMU 50 3rd gen (Which is a substantially better machine than the older DMU 50) might be a safer bet for around $200K depending on your requirements. [Could be more $ if you need more tools and options etc. but AS STANDARD DMU 50 3rd gen is waaay faster (than it's predecessor) and cooling through-out and has scales (as standard) on all axes and has LONGER SPINDLE WARRENTY :-) [Also 20K spindle that might be more relevant to you injection mold applications (shrugging shoulders).].

@Davids4... $ vs risk ? Old machine vs new machine. One of the main advantages of second hand nearly new 5 axis machines is that sometimes you can "score" a ton of extra options on a really "blinged out" machine, such options one would not normally be able to afford (new), + tooling in some cases.

Final caveat I don't think that there were any "Lemon" years on the DMU 65 mb going back to 2012 but other folks on PM forum would know better than I for older machines. For newer DMU 65 mb's folks I have spoken to that have them are super happy with them. [DMU 50 3rd gen* is so new that the jury is still out on them, so pretty even risk I think ? ].

@Davids4 What is DMG Mori support like in Israel ? Also same for second hand machines ?

_____

* No affiliation.

Hi
The machine have 40 tools
Have renishaw with laser tool measure.
About Solid Cam
We use cimatron ( that is also an Israeli program)
In Israel its divided to 60% use solid cam and 40% use cimatron I guess..

That's cool to know there is good "Base" in Israel for SolidCam and Cimatron.

Thanks for that.

I want to upload some pictures but i can see that there's an option for that...

Ok from the right side of the tool bar you have the following icons.

Icon: for speech bubble,

then 2nd from the right,

Icon: for insert video,

then third from the right

Icon: "Insert image" (looks like a square depicting a tree with small black squares at each corner joined by thin black lines.).

Press icon... ( no doubt you have done this).

What is confusing is that the dialog box has things hidden and "Greyed" out in a weird way. "Stealth buttons".

If you are uploading images from your computer you need to press the "words" under the text entry box that say "Upload Files(s) "

GSM_3000[1].jpg

^^^ This image is clickable to expand.

You can attach a bunch of images...

Or you can post links to the machine if it's advertised ?

Maybe that helps ?

Back