What's new
What's new

DMU 95 or Grob G550?

Rotoryfreak

Plastic
Looking to get a new machine in the shop.

My options so far are DMU 95, Grob G550 or Doosan DHF 8000. Hermele C400 was on option but will not purchase a battery from local re-sealer!! Maybe in the future when Hermele will sell direct here in the states..

Will welcome any experience and input you guys might have..

Thank you

This is a bizarre list. The machines you are listing are in different classes altogether. For instance - why would you look at a DMU95, when the best match for the G550 in size and capabilities is a DMC90? Also, why a C400 instead of a C42? Not to mention the Hermle is much smaller than the rest...

Seems like you need to provide some criteria that will at least narrow your search into a more consistent size and price class. There are actually quite a few options when it comes to ~1000mm 5 axis horizontals, and some of the major players are definitely missing from your short list.

disagree w/boosted.

dmc is a pallet machine so unless you wanted a pallet machine a 95 is a good comparison.

the hermle is the best choice. service, appplications support, setup etc all comes from hermle, the price too. the resellers just do the paperwork for them.

fyi the 95/550 are 650-750 delivered and a 400 is 450 all w/o automation.. +/- todays economic craziness.

we had 2 400s @ my last shop and i have an 85 and a 125 now.

hermle. hermle. hermle.

This is a bizarre list. The machines you are listing are in different classes altogether. For instance - why would you look at a DMU95, when the best match for the G550 in size and capabilities is a DMC90? Also, why a C400 instead of a C42? Not to mention the Hermle is much smaller than the rest...

Seems like you need to provide some criteria that will at least narrow your search into a more consistent size and price class. There are actually quite a few options when it comes to ~1000mm 5 axis horizontals, and some of the major players are definitely missing from your short list.

I know very little about high end machines but it doesn't hurt to dream. What other brands/machines are you thinking of?

dmc is a pallet machine so unless you wanted a pallet machine a 95 is a good comparison.

My point was to look at DMG MORI's duoblock series (instead of the monoblock) as serious competition for the G550. A lot of folks really like the notion of being able to throw a big horizontal style tombstone on the machine, which isn't very practical on a normal table/table 5 axis VMC. You can order a standalone duoblock instead of the pallet changer, though I can't imagine why anyone would order a horizontal machine from any manufacturer (including the Grob) without a pallet changer.

To the OP - you need to provide more criteria. Budget, size, type of part?

If you are just looking for high quality five axis machines with about 750mm working diameter, there are going to be dozens of options.

Back