What's new
What's new

DNC for old XP-Professional Laptop

andrewmawson

Hot Rolled
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I cannot search as the words 'DNC' and 'XP' are rejected as too short by the search engine :(

I need to equip an old Panasonic Toughbook CF-50 running XP-Professional with a DNC program to allow me to take back ups from a Siemens 820T control on site (for comparison purposes rather than security (*)).

In my (home) workshop I run a purchased copy of DNC4U which I find very good, but for this exercise it's far too expensive to purchase another copy as it'll only be used once or twice.

Are there any good, free, down loadable DNC simple programs out there that will run on XP?

(* I'm resurrecting an old lathe in my home workshop with a Sinumerik 820T control that originally had the M19 spindle orientation facility, it now doesn't work, probably due to a non set option bit, my acquaintances machine has the facility so I want to compare dumps at my leisure rather thsn on their site!)

Oh and for any one cnc users you can open the dnc program from it's folder within the one cnc directory without having to use your dongle. So you can install it on a pc and still use the dnc without having to open the whole one cnc program.

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I cannot search as the words 'DNC' and 'XP' are rejected as too short by the search engine :(
Use Google for searching. Just append <site:practicalmachinist.com> [without the brackets] to whatever you enter on the search line in google. That restricts google to only looking at PM.

At the risk of being flamed, Pick up an old license of BobCAD with Predator Editor. Either the regular or pro versions bundled with their software should be able to send and receive from the control. V23 has a dongle licensing scheme which is convenient if you don't mind a thumb drive sticking out or a USB cable extension.

EDIT. Sorry didn't see FREE. Maybe you could do something with PUTTY for transfer and compare with Notepad++ if you are desperate.

EDIT. Sorry didn't see FREE. Maybe you could do something with PUTTY for transfer and compare with Notepad++ if you are desperate.

Why the f*** would you f*** with Putty or Notepad++, when there are FREE!!!! DNC programs availible. Makes absolutely zero sense, c'mon now.

Yeah bud, that was my edit after I didn't see the free requirement, and I said if desperate. C'mon now don't you be too harsh. I still like Predator but the free version lacks comms.

My vote goes for

edytornc

Free

been good, simple, can configure all the usual transfer settings and has a nice editor with some useful tools, swap axes, renumber with options, color code text depending on machine controller type,convert inch to mm and quite a bit more.

definitely worth looking at.

Cheers

That is an awesome tool for RS232 send/receive, but I do not think it can be set up for DNC tho.

And for what it's worth, it works just fine on anything from Win95 to Win10, and it can handle quite a bit of the newfangled USB to Serial adapters.
Never needed DNC, but I still use it for all program transfers to the older Haas controls.

Back