What's new
What's new

DNM5700S Opinions

dstryr

Diamond
Anyone have one of these? I have a 2010 DNM500 that has served us well and in the market for another 40x20 3 axis machine to prep hard material and build fixtures / general work. Our workload has changed and we have too many 30 taper machines now which aren't doing me a lot of favor for titanium, stainless etc.

Curious how much better the new 5700s is compared to the DNM500 besides the 15k spindle against my 12k.

Are they still making the 500? their website jumps from 4500 to 5700. As far as the 5700s, I think its a solid machine with great support now that Ellison doesn't have to deal with Mori's problems. My only gripe is the Z axis way cover. Seems everyone I get near has a problem folding it up like a beer can. And,,,, Not to thrilled with 87ft pounds of torque for hard materials.

I was Talking with Bandon Mathis from the Tennessee branch and the regular 5700 is in stock ready to ship at each location in USA. Not to sure on the S model but probably an in house conversion.

5700 is a totally new machine. New casting (8 leveling pads instead of 6 on the DNMXXX). Fanuc OiMF controls (although some later model DNM's ended up with F controls but not my 2016). The F controls give you AICC instead of AIAPC, which is an all around better look ahead. 5700 has noticeably faster tool changes & cut to cut time. The biggest factor for us is the grease lubrication. 1 cartridge lasts extremely long (3000 hours if I'm not mistaken. I'll edit the post With exact hours at work). Makes the coolant last longer and you aren't dealing with adding way lube all the time.
As for 15k Doosan spindles, I tend to shy away. I know a company with one and they replace it constantly due to it being much more fragile than the 8 or 12k Doosan offers.
Best of luck on your search!

Just get an Okuma and don't look back.

Your 2010 DNM500 is from a different era, back when they were trying to take the Haas market. Now they're trying to compete with the Japanese and it ain't happening.

The DNM 500 you had was a great machine. The new 5700 is the evolutionary change. So, what you have with the 5700 is a little more travel in X and Y, larger roller guideways, better sheet metal for handling high pressure coolant and chips, wider doorways, better spindle, larger capacity chiller, 0iM-F control, etc. I worked for Doosan for years and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I was in the market. Price is very competitive.

Just get an Okuma and don't look back.

Your 2010 DNM500 is from a different era, back when they were trying to take the Haas market. Now they're trying to compete with the Japanese and it ain't happening.

Meh!
I"d love to buy an Okuma but I'm not trying to add another control to the shop. I'm probably a little different of a user than most... This machine is more of a support equipment than a dedicated parts making machine. I mean we will run it to make parts but most of the time it will be doing dovetail prep / fixture building / last op cutting etc for my 5 axis cells....

If there was a builder in the USA that could give me a 3 axis machine with a Siemens control (and no ... I dont want a CELOS overlay) I'd be extremely happy. I love the Siemens on our 3 Grobs but everyone in the USA is 6-9 months special order for a simple 3 axis with it.

5700 is a totally new machine. New casting (8 leveling pads instead of 6 on the DNMXXX). Fanuc OiMF controls (although some later model DNM's ended up with F controls but not my 2016). The F controls give you AICC instead of AIAPC, which is an all around better look ahead. 5700 has noticeably faster tool changes & cut to cut time. The biggest factor for us is the grease lubrication. 1 cartridge lasts extremely long (3000 hours if I'm not mistaken. I'll edit the post With exact hours at work). Makes the coolant last longer and you aren't dealing with adding way lube all the time.
As for 15k Doosan spindles, I tend to shy away. I know a company with one and they replace it constantly due to it being much more fragile than the 8 or 12k Doosan offers.
Best of luck on your search!

Great point. My DNM500 is the 12k belt spindle. Its been solid (knock on wood) but its loud as hell over 8k. We rarely run it at 10k ... never at 12k just because of how loud it is....

I'm going to email Ellison and ask them replacement cost on the 15k air / oil spindle...

My preference has always been the 8k spindle, for torque and smoothness.
The 15k we had in the showroom, when I was there, seemed to be pretty quiet.

The DNM5700S has options that are standard from the factory for mold work and high speed machining. 400 block look ahead, nano smoothing, jerk control, AICC 2 and of course the 15K spindle instead of the 12K. And yes, the 15K spindle is very quiet.

20190109_102816.jpg

Spindle repalcement for the 15k is very reasonable. Ellison quoted me $12k for a new one.
I know a lot of people got bit buying those entry level DMG Mori verticals with super expensive spindle replacement costs

Back