What's new
What's new

Do guys really have to ducktape there there Dongle?

D.D.Machine

Stainless
I`m changing from desktop to laptop and the cad/cam uses a dongle ,,, I have looked around and the best idea i have seen for keeping the dongle on the laptop is ducktape ... there has to be a better way?

Why would you ever keep it attached all the time? If you transport the machine around from time to time, you don't want it stuck in a port as most to them are relatively long. They won't fall out from gravity. If you are worried about it getting stolen, good luck, no really good ways to keep them secure other than locking them up when you are away from the desk. I keep mine on a key clip and attach it to a ring in my front bag pocket, it can't fall out if I leave it unzipped. Most computer backpacks have a provision like that. All you really need is a loop inside a pocket, and you could use a split ring and carabiner to keep it in there.

Husker

A short extension cable expands your options, both for theft prevention and for accidental loss. I do it on our desktops just to make them easy to reach.

A short extension cable expands your options, both for theft prevention and for accidental loss. I do it on our desktops just to make them easy to reach.

Slightly longer extension, the dongle can live inside a stout lockup, too. So can a storage device. either of SSD or HDD.

The 'puter HARDWARE itself has not been the hardest part to replace for Donkey's Years. Data and license keys, rather.

I have a couple desktop USB expansion cards that also have an internal USB port. Haven't done it yet but I always thought it would be perfect for a "permanent" hasp location.

I have a couple desktop USB expansion cards that also have an internal USB port. Haven't done it yet but I always thought it would be perfect for a "permanent" hasp location.

Gig-E and 10-Gig-E over hard-connected and it might be in some other part of the building, not showing as WiFi activity, and usually safe enough. Oxygen thieves usually want the easily totable and rapidly saleable laptop, not even a clumsier deskside rig.

Or data can even live on another continent, yah don't mind "slower" and several competing 3-letter agencies, US and Foreign, watching it move about. Rent space, any facility in Asia, Singapore included, do a recce, find "New China News Agency" has a seat on the same backbone. More to that than what they publish in their funny-papers.

I kept rackups in Zurich and Hong Kong for Donkey's years. "Making the best of a bad situation" as it were...

The angle of the Dongle is directly proportional to the size of the duct tape???

Sorry I couldn't help myself :)

Best Regards,
Bob

"Helping yourself" is cheating, but when yah lose even THAT....

Dad's generation. A take-off on something in chem or physics class, IIRC:

The angle of DANGLE is proportional to the heat of the meat, so long as the mass of the ass remains constant.

I fear that "mass" part may evolved to the undue fascination with "bootie", more recent years, though.

Ugh... "Car'ed assian" a take-off on the resemblance to a departing 1939 Ford Coupe? Not my cuppa.

Wonder if duct tape would pull your eyebrows and eyelashes out when you remove it, afterwards?

:(

I'm trying to wrap my head around this...I keep my laptop in a laptop bag, as mentioned earlier there are provisions for attaching stuff to a removable keyring. There are also zippered pockets inside of larger pockets. It's fairly straightforward...I think.

Back