What's new
What's new

Do Haas really deliver machines with "random" chucks?

Schjell

Aluminum
While waiting for my machine (ST-30Y) I went ahead and ordered in a bunch of soft jaws for a Kitagawa chuck.
That's the chuck I've seen on various pictures, not mentioned by make in documentation.

Asked my local salesrep for a confirmation of make & model and he said that Haas randomly pick one out of three or four different makes, depending on what they have in stock at the time.

You must me shitting me I thought, so I called Haas in Oxnard to get it straight from the horses mouth.

Turns out it's true.

Really strange thing to do I think. Is this common knowledge amongst seasoned CNC machinists? Why not stock up???

Kind regards from a CNC rookie.

Pretty stupid. But once I saw a guy belly flop from 25' into a kiddie pool, so not quite THAT stupid. But the serrations and dimensions better be identical to each brand. Better question is why isn't it in the brochure, and why aren't you looking at it?

R

Pretty stupid. But once I saw a guy belly flop from 25' into a kiddie pool, so not quite THAT stupid. But the serrations and dimensions better be identical to each brand. Better question is why isn't it in the brochure, and why aren't you looking at it?

R

I'm hoping that it will be 1.5x60 serrations across all the brands and that they are of equal quality.
Just find it really weird so was curious if I was the only one who didn't know about it..

95% of power Chucks have 1.5mm x 60° serrations. Width of slot, width of top jaw, length of top jaw and bolt hole size is a different story.

R

I would think Haas specs the Kitagawa-style 1.5x60 chucks, both genuine Kitagawa and various "should be equivalent quality" clone brands.

Just heard back from techs at Haas. My machine was fitted with a Samchully chuck, which from what I can read on this forum, is practically the same product as the Kitagawa. Must be good quality since apparently the Doosans use them as well. All in all not a big deal at all, but to me strange nonetheless.

Samchully is dimensionally identical to Kitagawa, though wouldn't put the quality on the same level.
Have a 6" hydraulic and a 6" manual ..... well, they are OK.

Haas also used to ship Matsumoto chucks with their lathes. Those OTOH are every bit on-par with the Kit's, but then the slot width and the hole spacing
is different on them.

Back