What's new
What's new

Do Heat Shrink and Hydraulic tool holders really improve tool life?

thunderskunk

Cast Iron
Hey guys,

My question is: Do Heat Shrink and Hydraulic tool holders really improve tool life?

I've seen first hand that they solve run-out issues without a thought, and I've been told by the dealer that hydraulic tool holders will clamp within .0002" and heat shrink within .0001". We have the hydraulic set that we use for about half of our tooling, but I've never used heat-shrink. I've also spent many hours indicating reamers and long endmills, so it's already a benefit in my eyes.

The guy at Yamazen says it improves tool life too. Is this something you guys have seen first hand? I don't have enough data to say exactly how much better it is. I've got plenty of old tool life sheets, but no way to know when tool brands and holders were switched.

Matt

Yes but depends on loading.
If you are taking .001 per tooth 2 tenths or 5 tenths is a lot.
If you are taking 20 thou per tooth it is not so much.
Be aware that once you get down to 1 and 2 tenths you are now crossing the line of how the endmill was made.
(somehow many seem to think the cutting flutes on the tool you buy has zero runout....not gonna happen... we make them in machine tools not virtual space computers)

People and the market in general would not support the higher cost if it did not help.
Bob

That seems to echo what thunderskunk opened with -> yes they help with runout, which may or may not matter.

Bob - I didn't get whether you answer was just affirming that, or you were making a comment on tool life?

Also, keep in mind that some tools perform better in a hydraulic holder because of the dampening and others perform better in a heat shrink because of rigidity and clamping force. Depends on the operation but for finishing I would not expect to see a big difference between the two amusing they are both in perfect working order.

I've seen 'roughing' tools pull out with shrink-fit... BUT I really think that was inexperience with the machine, etc (Haimer recommends, not 're-heating' toolholders and such without a cooling cycle).

Hydraulics transformed a couple of jobs for me drilling - was using ER25 collets, and changed to Schunk hydraulics. Cutting 17/4 and 304 stainless, tool life went up by 5x ish.

During drilling you saw that much improvement from a hydraulic holder? I never would have expected any real change for drills. That’s very good to know!

Back