What's new
What's new

Do we need a spot drill before U drill?

If you do I was not aware. Don’t think I ever have intentionally either.

I typically just face the surface then send the drill in.

If you are going in with a long drill (x6D or more) it's usually recommended to use a shorter drill to create a pilot hole. However for 5xD and shorter you don't need anything. Though this can change per manufacturer recommendations.

In general, yes. Unless it is a 5xD carbide. Also depends on material, hole size, hole depth, hole tolerance, location tolerance.....etc

In general, yes. Unless it is a 5xD carbide. Also depends on material, hole size, hole depth, hole tolerance, location tolerance.....etc

I think he's referring to a U-drill and not a letter U drill. If it's a letter U then he should clarify and yes you would want a spot unless it was a screw machine length or carbide drill.

Not needed and not desirable anyway.

Even with two inserts, they're effectively single flute and wouldn't follow a spotted hole. The center insert is usually designed to guide it in straight.

If you are going in with a long drill (x6D or more) it's usually recommended to use a shorter drill to create a pilot hole. However for 5xD and shorter you don't need anything. Though this can change per manufacturer recommendations.

+1 on this.

If you have a long drill and don't want to spend money on a second, shorter drill, you can use an endmill and helical bore a starter hole about 1/2" deep.

Back