What's new
What's new

Does anyone make a 3/8 16 left hand tap with spiral flutes?

Dave K

Diamond
Need to tap some 3/8 16 left hand threads in some 304 stainless, blind hole. I can't believe I'm having trouble sourcing a tap for this. It this really that rare? I can find it in a hand tap, but I'm not hand tapping 30 pcs. I'd rather have it come off the machine complete. This would be done in a lather. Any suggestions? I've tried Guhring, OSG, Emuge, so far no luck.

I've never tried it, but could you single point it?

Oh for Petes sake, what the heck is wrong with me!!! :wall: Color me stupid, but I never thought of it. I'll have to see if I have a small enough bar, but I just might have it.
Thanks for throwing that brick at my head. LOL!!:cheers:

Check with Balax

Balax | Forming Taps, Cutting Taps, Thread Gages.

Have you considered a thread forming (roll) tap? There are no chips with these.

Tom

I have considered thread forming. Open to it, if I can find it in left hand. Balax is checking right now for me.

Ewsley----- I have a bar small enough, but the insert in it is too small to make a 16 pitch thread. Not enough reach between O.D. and I.D.

Thread mill for 3/8-16 will need necked down to cut 1" deep, but would probably be well worth the effort for 30 threads bottomed in 304. Thread mills cut either left or right hand with the same mill.

Thread mill for 3/8-16 will need necked down to cut 1" deep, but would probably be well worth the effort for 30 threads bottomed in 304. Thread mills cut either left or right hand with the same mill.

That would be a last resort. I'm trying to avoid another operation and another machine. This part should come off the lathe complete.

McMaster makes a milling tap, Not cheap but...below is info.

3/8"-16 4 5/16" 0.285" 3/4" 2 1/2" 2659A41 235.63

Yowsa!!! I can get special made taps for $55.00 each from North American or Regal Beloit.

As it turns out, Balax has one thread forming tap they'll sell for $35.00. Looks like that's my ticket. Thanks for the help, guys!!

Back