What's new
What's new

Does this type CMM need certain temp/humidity control?

Cannonmn

Stainless
Last edited:
What are your tolerances .010 or .0001
Parts will need to stabilize to the room temperature also at the low end.

I never understood how the humidity affected measuring metals other than keeping precision tools from rusting.

Dave

I never understood how the humidity affected measuring metals other than keeping precision tools from rusting.

Dave

I seem to recall the CMM is supposed to be good to .0004.

Dave

+1

I don't think there are any components in a CMM that are immediately reactive (dimensionally) to RH (Relative humidity); however I HAVE worked in DC and Suitland Maryland with similar 90 degree heat and 90 % RH (relative Humidity) in large hangers/ workshops / warehouses.

Problem from high RH is late at night / morning, condensation will form on various surfaces (including internal surfaces)that have cooled during the night; so I'm not sure that physical moisture is GOOD for your CMM.

Also agree about tolerances too but why have a CMM in such a case , (unless of course it's government surplus ;-) )

Agree that fine pitting and corrosion products can initially form quite imperceptibly until it's too late.

Also if you are measuring materials that are not metals then some of those can also be quite reactive to moisture content and relative humidity (some synthetics + natural materials (of course)).

Back