What's new

Doosan

rvb88

Plastic
Hey guys,

How reliable are doosan machines.
Iam opting for GT2100B for turning with 12" chuck
And DNM4500 as vmc.

Anything that i should be worried about or lookout for?
Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

The GT2600 is not much more and has a bigger work capacity and a little more power. Seems like a better buy.

I "HAD" two Doosan machines ,,, A DNM5700 that had tool changer problems and would fault do to the little VFD that ran the tool turret. then the TSC quit working and finally the retention fingers for the pull stud started faulting out ... My take on Dossan is there a good machine but there local support was just not there and when I reached out to Doosan USA for help they did "NOTHING" ...

ALL machines well have problems at some point and it comes down to how good your local support is for them. I would say ask around your local area and see how the support is there ...

I 2nd the need for local support. The capacity of the machines are a good value per $ spent, but the reliability reflects the price tag. If they can not keep your machine running the savings is quickly erased.

We have two of them, both are Lynx 220L, a 2010 and a 2012. We bought 'em used and they've been on the floor for a couple of years now. They seem to be good little machines. The only issue has been the parts catchers failing. Other than that they've been running pretty steady.

2010 and 2012 machines were built by Doosan a machine company that was owned by Doosan ,,, the newer machines are built by a "BANK" that bought out the machine company. Its kinda a deal like Daewoo being sold off to Doosan or Bridgeport being sold off ... I have NEVER seen an machine tool builder get sold off and the quality and service go up .. if a company is being sold off its not do to them having great customer service and being financially stable ...

2010 and 2012 machines were built by Doosan a machine company that was owned by Doosan ,,, the newer machines are built by a "BANK" that bought out the machine company. Its kinda a deal like Daewoo being sold off to Doosan or Bridgeport being sold off ... I have NEVER seen an machine tool builder get sold off and the quality and service go up .. if a company is being sold off its not do to them having great customer service and being financially stable ...

Sort of...

Doosan - the parent company, sold the machine tool division to a bank, MBK, about 2-3 years ago. All of the division was sold including foundries, R&D labs, assembly, etc. The parent company was in danger of going under and needed cash, the machine tool division was profitable, so it got sold. MBK is now trying to sell the machine tool division, but is having trouble finding a buyer. Basically, the company is run by a bunch of Korean white collar bankers who "really" want to sell it and clear out. The machines are very good, I'd buy one now if I had the money.

Sort of...

Doosan - the parent company, sold the machine tool division to a bank, MBK, about 2-3 years ago. All of the division was sold including foundries, R&D labs, assembly, etc. The parent company was in danger of going under and needed cash, the machine tool division was profitable, so it got sold. MBK is now trying to sell the machine tool division, but is having trouble finding a buyer. Basically, the company is run by a bunch of Korean white collar bankers who "really" want to sell it and clear out. The machines are very good, I'd buy one now if I had the money.

Thank you for that update.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

We have several, lathes, mills, and mill / turn. Been very happy with performance and reliability. We don't run production, strictly tool room work, so lots of setup and short run parts. Lots of dynamic machining toolpaths. Very few service problems. I'll buy more of them when I need another machine. Several pictures on my website.

Progressive Tool @ MFG. INC. Greensboro, NC

I just bought a DNM-5700 in April. So far I really like it. I cut mostly Alum & stainless.(can't beat the duel contact spindle!!)
I also agree with checking locally for service, that goes for any brand you are buying!!!

RJT: What brand and size rotary do you have in your 5700????

Samchully 8 inch, we use it mostly for indexing, haven't done much contouring, but so far it works great. Only had it about 9 months.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

After seeing Samsung go under when they were a large machine builder for Mori and a lot of other brands including there own , Then Daewoo also was a large South Korean machine builder that went under and then when Doosan Corporation went under only to sell off the machine building side to a bank that is now trying to resell it with no buyers stepping up it is not looking like buying into a south Korean machine would be a smart move in my book ...

Its just my thoughts but if Daewoo and Samsung closed up and no one is jumping at buying Doosan how long is a bank going to keep them afloat? clearly if there trying to see Doosan they don`t want to be a machine builder.

one thing that I have noticed about Doosan is there the "ONLY" large machine builder that does not make there own control or drives ,, there strictly trying to turn a profit off the iron. Even Mazak has there own proprietary control boards well being supplied from a outside manufacturer, Doosan is just using Fanuc like Daewoo and Samsung tried.

'15 Lynx 220LC and a '13 DNM500 on my floor. Both rock solid machines................Lynx is a little tank..........runs +/-.0002 stuff with ease. The DNM chugs along through whatever I throw at it. Fanuc...............who cares. Just program and go...............Ellison supports them here............they had some growing pains and loss of techs that stuck with Mori...............seems to have calmed down and they are very helpful..............oh, and so is Doosan out in Jersey. I have no complaints.

.......one thing that I have noticed about Doosan is there the "ONLY" large machine builder that does not make there own control or drives ,, there strictly trying to turn a profit off the iron. Even Mazak has there own proprietary control boards well being supplied from a outside manufacturer, Doosan is just using Fanuc like Daewoo and Samsung tried.

Very few builders make their own controls and drives. Most Asian machines are built around Fanuc or Mitsubishi hardware. Many have implemented their own U/I, but under it, is Fanuc or Mitsu hardware.

Okuma builds their own AFAIK. (Cinci used to)

I'm not sure that anyone else builds their own in the MT business?

Robots - yes....

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
After seeing Samsung go under when they were a large machine builder for Mori and a lot of other brands including there own , Then Daewoo also was a large South Korean machine builder that went under and then when Doosan Corporation went under only to sell off the machine building side to a bank that is now trying to resell it with no buyers stepping up it is not looking like buying into a south Korean machine would be a smart move in my book ...

Its just my thoughts but if Daewoo and Samsung closed up and no one is jumping at buying Doosan how long is a bank going to keep them afloat? clearly if there trying to see Doosan they don`t want to be a machine builder.

one thing that I have noticed about Doosan is there the "ONLY" large machine builder that does not make there own control or drives ,, there strictly trying to turn a profit off the iron. Even Mazak has there own proprietary control boards well being supplied from a outside manufacturer, Doosan is just using Fanuc like Daewoo and Samsung tried.

I must point out, that there's some mis-information in this post. We have 6 "Samsung" machines at work. Bought through a local dealer. Dynamic International out of Wisconson was importing these machines into the US & reselling them to dealers. How they got to use the name "Samsung" is beyond me, but my understanding is that the machines are actually built by "SMEC" out of South Korea. Their website says they were born out of Samsung heavy Industries.

Anyway, my understanding is that the SMEC-Dynamic relationship ended/divorced, and SMEC began setting up operations here in the US. Support has been shaky as our local dealer dropped the line during this, but we have been able to get spare parts, it just takes longer.

Korean Website - SMEC CO.,LTD | Machinery Division | About Division -- I must say, that's a pretty nice equipment list, and a very nice factory. (Dare I say, nicer than Mazak's here in the US??? :eek: )

US Website - SMEC Machine Tools | Automation Solution | SMEC AMERICA

As for Doosan, they seem to have a pretty solid support network here in the USA. Probably a pretty safe bet vs. the other flash-in-the-pan makes the come & go every other year or so...

No mis-information
Samsung machinery did go under and well I did not point out that to some point it came back as Smart machinery its no longer a machine "BUILDER" and just a company slapping stickers on others iron. The point I was trying to make is 2 out of 3 of the largest machine builders in south Korea have closed up even in the good economy over the last few years and the one that is left got sold and even the new owners are trying to sell it off...

Back