What's new
What's new

Doosan C axis lathe Threadmilling

oreilly

Plastic
Hello,

Was curious to see if anyone has done thread milling on a Doosan lynx lathe without a y axis. We got it to thread mill just fine with G1 linear moves, but it writes way to much code.

The machine throws out the alarm PS0021 illegal plane if you have Z in a G2 or G3 move, and the machine can only be in G18 since it has no Y axis.

Is there a better way to do thread milling on these machines that does not write so much code?

You are threadmilling without a Y axis and making arc moves in the Z direction? :confused:
Is the thread on the face of the part or a cross hole in the side? IOW, are you rotating the C axis as you feed in Z ?

Yes we are using G12.1 for polar interpolation, and are thread milling from the face. For holes on the centerline the spindle turns as the thread mill moves out of the hole.
For offset holes the spindle rotates back and forth with the X axis to make the threads, it is very cool to see run.
But it is all in linear moves with G12.1 and writes around 200lines of code per hole. We were just looking to shorten up the code a bit somehow.

Yes we are using G12.1 for polar interpolation, and are thread milling from the face. For holes on the centerline the spindle turns as the thread mill moves out of the hole.
For offset holes the spindle rotates back and forth with the X axis to make the threads, it is very cool to see run.
But it is all in linear moves with G12.1 and writes around 200lines of code per hole. We were just looking to shorten up the code a bit somehow.

Okay, that makes sense now. I was trying to picture you threadmilling a crosshole without a Y.................. :eek:

I work for Doosan. This should be a parameter, let me see if I could find it. In the meantime, calling your thread milling program as a subprogram should be a good temp fix.

You can use a Macro instead of all the lines of code.

R

That is the alarm you get without the helical option installed.
here is an email from my dealer to me on a brand new machine

On Nov 16, 2018, at 9:08 AM,
trying to run a part we have ran before on our first Hwacheon.
Running the threadmill operation on the sub results in alarm
PS0021 ILLEGAL PLANE SELECT
To enable programming of 3 or more axes, the helical
interpolation option must be added to each of the relevant
axes.

They never said helical was optional. It was included as base. But the option was not installed at delivery. Paperwork snafu.

Thanks for the responses, using sub programs or macros would be a good option for sure.
Was curious though if this is an option that needs to be installed, or just a parameter not set correctly somewhere?
Tried it on a 2012 and a newer 2019 Lynx with no luck.

Back