What's new
What's new

Doosan DNM 5700 VS????

ArturoMeltri

Plastic
Hello!

I work in a machine shop in Mexico and our scope is manufacturing of small ( 50" x 20" max size) dies for automotive industry.

Currently in our shop we have 4 VF-4 and 2 VF2-SS, I started working here in 2017 and now we have budget for one new machine. The owner loves Haas machines but I recently quote one VF-4SS with TSC, Renishaw Probing System, Augier and HSM. The quote is nearly 110k USD!!!

I receive a quote from my local seller from Doosan and the Doosan DNM 5700 with almost the same specs is around 95k, I said almost the same specs but the DNM 5700 has a Spindle Torque of 211 ft-lb and the VF-4SS has a 90 lB-ft Spindle Torque.

I have a budget of 100k for our new machine, we manufacture components smaller than 40 x 20, so for us the VF-4SS and the Dossan DNM 5700 is enough. Which other machines under 125k can you recomend me to quote and take a look.

Sorry if I made grammatical errors, english is not my mother tonge! :)

Thank you,

Arturo

Hello Arturo!

I work for Doosan so I'm a little biased. :cool:
But I can tell you that there is so MUCH to the DNM 5700. One thing is that the Doosan is very rugged and heavy. We own the foundry so we pour our own castings. That's why there's so much metal in the machine.

It can take very aggressive cuts and return wonderful accuracy day in and day out. It has the torque to handle tough steels and stainless. It comes probe ready, with a Fanuc control, drives and motors.

It's built for the long haul.

Plus, training is free for life as long as you own a Doosan. We have classes here at our Pine Brook NJ HQ EVERY month!

Let me know.

I "HAD" a DNM 5700 and well the mill was a lot heaver built that the Vf4ss next to it. I found the support for Doosan was just not there ... when the machine was new the VFD that ran the tool turret would alarm out all the time and the dealer did "NOTHING" to fix it ... then a couple months later the TSC pump quit working and once more the dealer did "NOTHING" to fix it ... shortly after that the tool retainer fingers started sticking and once more the dealer did "NOTHING" to fit it ... At that point after talking to Doosan USA and spending months trying to get the dealer to fix it I had the dealer buy the machine back ... Bottom line is I liked the machine WHEN it worked but the support just was not there for it.

It was replaced with a vf2ss and well the Haas is not as ridged as the Doosan it runs every day and makes me money.

I "HAD" a DNM 5700 and well the mill was a lot heaver built that the Vf4ss next to it. I found the support for Doosan was just not there ... when the machine was new the VFD that ran the tool turret would alarm out all the time and the dealer did "NOTHING" to fix it ... then a couple months later the TSC pump quit working and once more the dealer did "NOTHING" to fix it ... shortly after that the tool retainer fingers started sticking and once more the dealer did "NOTHING" to fit it ... At that point after talking to Doosan USA and spending months trying to get the dealer to fix it I had the dealer buy the machine back ... Bottom line is I liked the machine WHEN it worked but the support just was not there for it.

It was replaced with a vf2ss and well the Haas is not as ridged as the Doosan it runs every day and makes me money.

That's one of the biggest concerns from my boss, I'm trying to convince him to invest the same or almost the same money on a different brand of CNC machines, but he always says that even though Haas are not as rigid or fast, they never stop working, or if they have a trouble our local provider ( Grupo Hitec in Mexico) comes the next day and fix it fast.

I'm trying to convince the boss to get a little bit more budget around 140k because the Okuma Genos M560-V is around 132k in Mexico.

We keep $40M in parts in the N/A warehouse.
Do you know who your distributor is?

Douglas, no hate here, but you didn't address what happened to D.D. You can say it's a dealer problem, but it's not - it's a Doosan problem because the bad support can hurt the brand.

D.D. posted about his issues before getting rid of the machine, did you or anyone else from Doosan NJ reach out to him?

yes it was after a dealer change ,,, they might have $40M in parts in there warehouse but I went 7+ months with out a coolant pump working ... and
"YES" I called Doosan USA for help.

Douglas, no hate here, but you didn't address what happened to D.D. You can say it's a dealer problem, but it's not - it's a Doosan problem because the bad support can hurt the brand.

D.D. posted about his issues before getting rid of the machine, did you or anyone else from Doosan NJ reach out to him?

No they never reached out at all ,,, I called them and and got told they would "NOT" send a new pump and would only send parts after the dealer told them what parts were needed ,,, dealer continued to send out multiple techs to look into it and at no point was the pump removed or worked on ,,,, like I have wrote for 3 years ,, Doosan is not a bad machine from what I had seen but there support just was not there ...

The Haas vf2ss I bought to replace the Doosan that was pulled out had the chip auger start making noise on a friday evening and by Saturday it quit working ,,, Monday morning I called my HFO and talked to them for about 2 min on the phone and the next morning I got a new chip auger motor and gear box delivered by Fed EX over night and got a call from the HFO that same morning asking if they could come put it in ,,, Bottom line is Haas got me a new chip auger in 24 hours and Doosan "NEVER" fixed there coolant pump in 7 months ... I see a lot of guys post up how they like the Doosan machines and so did i tell I needed Support ...

Doosan might have $40M in parts in the USA ,, but at the end of the day there still not made or built in the USA

Doosan distributor issues

To all in Industry.

We are a small shop located in the Northwest. I personally have been in industry over 20 years and I am a respected programmer and also a Technical associate to CAD/CAM supplier and also CNC tool manufacturers in the Northwest. I tell you this so that you understand where my skill sets are at and that even though I have only one CNC machine I am not new to industry. I had a larger shop of 4 CNC machines years past but sold that business in 2012. I later became a Technical Fellow for a major aerospace company in the NW. I am now operating a small shop manufacturing my own products as well as parts for small aircraft.

We purchased our DNM 5700 from Ellison Machinery in the Summer of 2018 after our current CNC mill reached the end of its life after making parts for over 10 years. the new beautiful machine was delivered in September but with damage from the rigger transporter that Ellison hired. After delivery and setup there were many other issues that came about that Ellison refused to fix resulting in our company to refuse to sign there machinery acceptance form and being forced to retain an attorney. Our adventure dealing with Doosan /Ellison has cost us over 50K in attorney fees and lost productivity.

Buyer beware that Ellison relies on contracts between their company and the customer that are not in best interest to the consumer. I asked Doosan to honor my warranty and for my distributor to be changed from Ellison to other because of Ellison's bad faith and excuses to fix or replace the machine that they delivered. I contacted Doosan in NJ for help with the situation and they responded to me once. I feel there response was just a motion and in the defense of there distributor.
After over a year of back and forth with Ellison my machine is running but still has a couple of issues but at this point i would rather not invite Ellison back to my property. I signed their equipment acceptance this past November but we will be asking Doosan for intervention if We have any other major issue with this machinery warranty issues from Ellison Technologies in Seattle.

Hello!

I work in a machine shop in Mexico and our scope is manufacturing of small ( 50" x 20" max size) dies for automotive industry.

Currently in our shop we have 4 VF-4 and 2 VF2-SS, I started working here in 2017 and now we have budget for one new machine. The owner loves Haas machines but I recently quote one VF-4SS with TSC, Renishaw Probing System, Augier and HSM. The quote is nearly 110k USD!!!

I receive a quote from my local seller from Doosan and the Doosan DNM 5700 with almost the same specs is around 95k, I said almost the same specs but the DNM 5700 has a Spindle Torque of 211 ft-lb and the VF-4SS has a 90 lB-ft Spindle Torque.

I have a budget of 100k for our new machine, we manufacture components smaller than 40 x 20, so for us the VF-4SS and the Dossan DNM 5700 is enough. Which other machines under 125k can you recomend me to quote and take a look.

Thank you,

Arturo

The Hyundai Wia KF5600 out-weighs, out-specs, and out-performs the DNM 5700 as well as many other 4020 class VMC's. Hyundai Wia waited for the DNM 5700 to come out and then built a machine that really out does it many ways. Check it out at https://www.hillaryinc.com/index_htm_files/comp-doosan-dnm500ll-dnm5700-vs-hyundai-kf5600.pdf

I know this is an old thread, but we have 2 Doosan 5700, a DNM400, a 5025, Puma, Lynx and Lynx mill turn. Only the last 2 bought from Ellison in Charlotte, NC. The machines have needed very little service and Ellison has been fine so far. I know their techs are spread thin still supplying service to Mori Seki, but I've gotten reasonable service from Ellison and really like Doosan.

Look at the Hyundai Wia KF5600II

Hello!

Thank you,

Arturo

I looked and compared the DNM5700 to the KF5600II from Hyundai Wia, also made in South Korea; same town as the Doosan. Both machines use almost identical branded components but the Hyundai is almost 2000 lbs heavier with a slightly larger casting and has an optional 25" Z axis travel. The Doosan has a slightly larger table but the Hyundai has more travel which means a larger taller work cube and it's faster in the rapid traverse. HP and torque are the same because they use the same Fanuc motor and have same RPM options. It also holds about 100 more gallons of coolant which is great if your using he through spindle coolant alot. The good part is that Hyundai builds so many more units than Doosan since they build so many for their own manufacturing needs that you can get a little more machine for less money; in the $85K range.

I looked and compared the DNM5700 to the KF5600II from Hyundai Wia, also made in South Korea; same town as the Doosan. Both machines use almost identical branded components but the Hyundai is almost 2000 lbs heavier with a slightly larger casting and has an optional 25" Z axis travel. The Doosan has a slightly larger table but the Hyundai has more travel which means a larger taller work cube and it's faster in the rapid traverse. HP and torque are the same because they use the same Fanuc motor and have same RPM options. It also holds about 100 more gallons of coolant which is great if your using he through spindle coolant alot. The good part is that Hyundai builds so many more units than Doosan since they build so many for their own manufacturing needs that you can get a little more machine for less money; in the $85K range.

If only they woke up and brought them in with 60+ tools

Back