What's new
What's new

doosan lynx 2100lsya

rcs60

Plastic
looking for information on milling on the sub spindle
what kind of cuts can be made
currently i am machining 303 ss with a 1/2 dia end mill- milling 10 flats at 3.200 across the flats
od for the flats is ruffed to 3.364 dia.
2300 rpm on z axis facing live tool
the cut is .018-.082 rdoc at 13.5 ipm
polar milling
i am using m188 for a low clamp pressure
while climb milling the sub spindle gets sucked into the cut breaking end mills
i did reprogram it to conventional mill the ruffing pass then climb mill the finish pass which seems better but still has a slight jerky motion to it

am i trying to cut more than the machine is capable off and what should the pressure be for the low pressure clamp ?

Following as I am looking into purchasing this exact machine as we speak.

I've never run or programmed a y axis lathe, let alone a sub. Is the material pulling out of the collect or is the entire sub spindle being sucked in?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was the Training and Applications guy for Doosan for years.
OK, for one thing, you should be using M189 Hi-pressure clamp as the sub spindle is pulling into the work.
The Hi-pressure clamp should be full system pressure.
Lo-pressure clamp is for dainty drilling and little bitty cuts. When I taught the classes I told most folk to skip it as it doesn't really help.

We do a lot of milling with this exact machine. Varimills and trichodial tool paths are your friend. Faster cycle time, way less stress and vibration, and your tools stay sharp! If you can do the majority of the milling on the main spindle, it's more rigid, but we do plenty with a 5/8 diameter varimil in the sub spindle too.

Doug
Thanks for the advice on not using the low pressure clamp
I removed it and the cut looks good
conventional milling definitely made the ruffing pass better as it did not let the c axis rotate into the cut
the finish pass(climb milling ) is .01 rdoc at 40. ipm (about 1500 dps)

siraig
"I've never run or programmed a y axis lathe, let alone a sub. Is the material pulling out of the collect or is the entire sub spindle being sucked in?"

the material was not pulling out or pushing in the sub the c axis while rotating was shaking causing the poor finish
On the ruffing pass ( climb milling ) 1st program it broke the 1/2 dia. end mill from the c axis rotating into the cut

This is a new machine to me (3/2020)
all in all the machine is a good machine depending on what you are running
if you need to cut parts at the 6.00 dia. on the sub. The hp is lacking ( about 1/2 hp of the main spindle)
at 6.00 dia. my cut was 625 sfpm .05 doc at .004ipr -- I stalled the sub going any faster with the ipr or doc a lower sfpm caused stalling problem also)
the torque rating is about 100% @1150 rpm so at about 400 rpm (6.00 dia.)i was at the lower end of the torque value

We do a lot of milling with this exact machine. Varimills and trichodial tool paths are your friend. Faster cycle time, way less stress and vibration, and your tools stay sharp! If you can do the majority of the milling on the main spindle, it's more rigid, but we do plenty with a 5/8 diameter varimil in the sub spindle too.

are you using dynamic milling in the x/y axis (c axis locked in place) or are you using the x/c axis (polar milling)
if you are using the x/c how fast can the spindle be rotated doing dynamic milling ?

it also sounds like you might have a bigger machine than me i can only put 1/2 dia. max into the live tooling (er20)

Doug
Thanks for the advice on not using the low pressure clamp
I removed it and the cut looks good
conventional milling definitely made the ruffing pass better as it did not let the c axis rotate into the cut
the finish pass(climb milling ) is .01 rdoc at 40. ipm (about 1500 dps)

My pleasure to help.

Back