What's new
What's new

Double Angle Cutter Question

plutoniumsalmon

Hot Rolled
Hello.

I need to cut this feature into some grade 50 steel. It is a family of parts with the largest being at 2.25 depth. Can you please recommend me a cutter. It needs to be held in an er32 collet.Capture44.jpg

I have almost no CNC experience so judge my answer accordingly. Mount the collet fixture on a 45* angle and use an endmill. That is the way a manual machinist would do it.

That's a big hombre. I'm thinking you might be screwed for a shank mounted tool. No way you can go to an arbor mounted cutter?

That's a tough one. Most of the double angle cutters that I use will get ate up by that cut in steel. The only ones that I have used for that type of application have been big arbor mounted wheel cutters. I can't see all of the of the print, but it looks like it would take a heck of a big wheel cutter to clear the mounting bolt.

You show a 90 degree slot with 0 rad or clear at the bottom.
Assuming .001 to work in this leaves 5-8 tenths for a bottom rad max. to hold both in.
No multi end mill setup or angle cutter will do this. NONE....
You would be very hard pressed to grind this and hold both dimensions to three places.
You are missing needed information. (the depth maybe should be To Sharp Corner with a min material height or a allowed slot)
Nobody makes zero inside corners.
Bob

If I'm looking at the Drawing correctly? (the feature is 2.25" long, as in a 90º Slot across a round face?) I think I'm missing something though, so I won't comment.

R

I looked again, it's marked as a 2.25" Slot on a 1.9" Diameter, errr uhh??

I have never tried this, but can you put a V shaped lathe tool in the turret and just move it in the X axis to slice off material like a broach or shaper would do? Not sure if that’s healthy but a sharp tool with light cuts might be pretty reliable and not be too hard for the machine to do?

Back