Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Drill rumbles on entry

I was drilling a 17/32" (13.5mm) hole in annealed A2, with an OSG coolant thru drill. It's in an ER25 holder with a bearing nut and a sealed, on size collet. Okuma M560v. Hole depth is 1.100" thru hole. I'm not spot drilling it. Just straight feed. When the drill enters, it rumbles until it's fully engaged, then sounds great. I looked at the tool closely and I don't see any chips or wear that would indicate an issue. I also dialed in the runout to within .0002" Should I look at a better holder or look at something else.
    Speeds & feeds:
    160 SFM
    .008" IPR
    1,000 psi

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd try using a spot drill. Same angle or slightly larger than the drill.

Or experiment with a two-stage drill code, where the first 1/8" or so is slower RPM and/or feed to establish the hole, then kick to the "regular" numbers for the rest of the hole.

3. Likes wmpy, BT Fabrication liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like you aren’t using a centre, or you centre drill is the wrong angle.

Is the drill a 118 deg standard?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What OSG drill? They make a lot of different ones, and they all perform differently. That said, I have never had any issues with their drills and I never spot!

Also, how long is your drill? 3xD or 8xD ()?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You need a "soft start" to your drilling process. .008" per rev is aggressive, so start the first 1/4" at about .002" per rev, then up it once in the material. I created a subprogram to do this and it works great in 4340 and A2.

7. Likes Bobw, Dan from Oakland liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sounds like too much of a cut and not enough sfm.
    is there a pre existing hole there? I had that issue in a job where the hole was 5/8" and needed to be 1 9/32, drill was walking around too much because the large center hole. slow feed/rpm until it hit full diameter

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No pre-existing hole. It's the HP255-5311. It's a 5xD drill. They recommend 160-240 sfm and .008"-.012" ipr on their chart for this drill in tool steel. I guess i'll try spotting with a 142°. I was told not to spot drill with coolant through drills but hey, I'll give it a shot. I'll also try slowing down until it's in the full diameter before going to the full speed and feed. Thanks guys

10. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sirgreggins View Post
    No pre-existing hole. It's the HP255-5311. It's a 5xD drill. They recommend 160-240 sfm and .008"-.012" ipr on their chart for this drill in tool steel. I guess i'll try spotting with a 142°. I was told not to spot drill with coolant through drills but hey, I'll give it a shot. I'll also try slowing down until it's in the full diameter before going to the full speed and feed. Thanks guys
    I wouldn't use a spotter, just take the drill you have and feed it easy until its supported, then pile drive it.
    The drill is able to start itself now at .008 a rev, it'll start itself even better at .002 a rev or so.

Might only need to get a small spot before picking up the feed, may have to go until the OD is supported.