What's new
What's new

drilling 0.053" holes in GPO-3

So I was given an opportunity to start learning cnc on the fly and this forum has been extremely helpful with troubleshooting most things I've encountered but recently I was tasked with making a test fixture that requires drilling 2 0.053" holes 0.068" away from each other in 3/8" GPO-3 board. I will use a 45 chamfer bit to pilot it and the top looks good but the 2nd hole will walk it's way towards the first half the time causing the probes to short together. is there anything I should be doing (drilling straight through vs pecking, slowing feed down more etc.) that I should be doing or is it just the nature of the material that drilling so close, small chunks will tend to break off causing it to walk towards the bottom with such a thin bit?

Google says:GPO-3 is a glass reinforced thermoset polyester sheet material.
The glass is causing the drill to walk.
Best to drill 1/2 way on both sides.

Third vote for a carbide circuitboard drill. It'll take care of your problems. You don't mention how deep you need to go, but as most CBDs are fairly low L/D, you probably shouldn't need to peck.

I used that GPO-3 crap for a project. Second time around I changed materials. It's full of glass and small tools will wander, along with getting dull at a rapid rate. I'd use carbide circuit board drills because they're made for the stuff. Don't have any more tool hanging out than absolutely necessary. Probably good advice for life in general.

Came to post use circuit board drills, but that's been handled. They're designed for this stuff and you're just about at the upper thickness limit. Shouldn't be a big deal to make two holes.

My over-the-weekend plan involves 3100 .025 inch diameter holes in aluminum with one of them.

Third vote for a carbide circuitboard drill. It'll take care of your problems. You don't mention how deep you need to go, but as most CBDs are fairly low L/D, you probably shouldn't need to peck.

Sorry about that, they will be drilled all the way through. I will be ordering that bit and if it still has problems I will see if the boss wants to change materials. I'm always greatful for all the help that this site and the people are able to provide.

Sorry about that, they will be drilled all the way through. I will be ordering that bit and if it still has problems I will see if the boss wants to change materials. I'm always greatful for all the help that this site and the people are able to provide.

Rules are 1. If you buy 1 you're going to break it. 2. If you buy 2 you'll use them both. 3. If you buy 3 you'll have an extra. They are $10.00 Drills. But by all means test my experience.

R

Back