What's new
What's new

drilling 660 bronze

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
I have a bushing made from C93200 SAE 660 bronze.
It needs to be 2.75OD x .75 ID.
I can't find that material so I was wondering about drilling this from solid bar.

It has been decades since I needed to drill bronze 2-14" deep.

How would you guys go about putting in that rough hole?

Also, any good inexpensive bronze suppliers out there?

Try anchor bronze.

A few years ago, I shot myself in the foot and forgot to put
machine only on the quote. Some oddball bronze spec that had
fallen out of favor at the beginning of WWII..

I needed 18 feet of 3/4". $240, and I think that included shipping.
About a week later, I hadn't heard from them on a tracking #, so I called
them.. They actually had to make it. They shipped about a week later.

And their website shows a bunch of tubing.. Might end up being easier
to get the material than you thought.. Maybe??

I turn tons of the stuff every year, but in tube form. Not much drilling though. Very short chipping material, comes out like needles.

Bronze and cheap don't play well together. But try Bravo bronze, concast or aviva.

Drilling SHOULD be relatively easy, but you might get a lot of chip packing issues with a twist drill in those depths. Try to find a thru coolant drill and pump air or coolant through it to evac chips.

Also the stuff can get hot in a hurry. It transfers heat quickly.

Would a spade drill be a good option for this? I know I have a 5/8 Allied spade drill that I should be able to hook up thru coolant on the lathe.

It seems that I will have to get 2-3/4 solid.

Spade will work fine. If drilling in a manual lathe be aware that 660 likes to grab and draw the drill into the work. If your going to do this in a CNC lathe you wont have to worry as much about tool grab since the lathe will have a ball screw.

I turn tons of the stuff every year, but in tube form. Not much drilling though. Very short chipping material, comes out like needles.

Bronze and cheap don't play well together. But try Bravo bronze, concast or aviva.

Drilling SHOULD be relatively easy, but you might get a lot of chip packing issues with a twist drill in those depths. Try to find a thru coolant drill and pump air or coolant through it to evac chips.

Also the stuff can get hot in a hurry. It transfers heat quickly.

What about boring that hole to .7505/.7510 to 2-1/8" deep? I'm thinking a 1/2" carbide boring bar, but just have generic stuff now.

Back