What's new
What's new

Drilling astm a572 50 steel with an endmill

plutoniumsalmon

Hot Rolled
Hello.

I need to put various through holes into a rod of a572 50 steel. The diameters are from 1/2 to about 3/4 and the depth varies from 1 inch to 2. As my count for live toolholders is tight I was thinking of spiral milling those with a reduced shank .375 5fl endmill from helical HEV-RN-R-50375. Is this a correct way to do it? I can also pocket after plunging or spiral and pocket. Also should I run coolant (no thru spindle for me) or not. I am going to threadmill into these after if that changes anything. So far my speeds and feeds are 4057 rpm at 2.31 in/min down with about a 5 degree spiral

Thank you.

I would go to a 1/2” Guhring Diver it can plunge like a drill and make short work of any carbon steel I’ve ever run it in. Basically you could drill your 1/2” holes and interpolate anything larger with relative ease and you can save memory since you can drill with it you won’t need to ramp into the material.

Guhring allows for a 45 deg entry into carbon steel

I would go to a 1/2” Guhring Diver it can plunge like a drill and make short work of any carbon steel I’ve ever run it in. Basically you could drill your 1/2” holes and interpolate anything larger with relative ease and you can save memory since you can drill with it you won’t need to ramp into the material.

Guhring allows for a 45 deg entry into carbon steel

Hello.
I cant seem to find the diver with a 2 inch cut length.

You might have to look at a Guhring RF Speed I believe they come in longer lengths but I don’t know how they are for finishing. It’s the HSM specific brother of the RF 100 Diver

If you have until Monday I can talk to our rep. Since the Diver line is still fairly immature they don’t stock too many LOC. They just recently added TTC which at depths like the ones your wanting will make a huge difference in tool life and process sustainability

Back