What's new
What's new

Drilling with G83..keeps turning on chuck even though i dont ask it to...

raymaffit

Plastic
Trying to drill two offset holes each 0.354" from center, 180 degrees apart... part starts drilling but then the chuck turns on. not a problem most times as most holes are central. this time it is though. program works fine on my new ST 20Y machine but just transferred it to my other 2 regular ST-20 machines and it keeps turning on the chuck so i cant drill off-center holes... any help is appreciated.

Canned cycles may have spindle control written in. In many cases this is good because it prevents you from breaking drills by forgetting to turn on the spindle. Or, it stops the spindle if you press Feed Hold in a minor emergency. Or it puts the machine in Feed Hold if you press Spindle Stop in a minor emergency.

I think you can simply hand code the moves to drill the holes. Perhaps there are other G code cycles which you could call to drill off center. Have to read the manual.

Is there some "milling mode" m-code that needs to be set before drilling off center? Spindle brake? All likely machine specific.

im using m154 to lock the c axis.... rotating to 180.0 degrees... using g83 to drill an 0.077" hole 1.9" deep Q.010" r.1... c 360... repeat canned cycle.... just keeps turning on the spindle clockwise even though there's no M03 in sight. makes sense about the spindle being written in for safety... guessing that would be in the parameters somewhere?

think i may have found it... Parameter 315 in the machine is set to 0... looks like it needs to be set to 1 in order to drill without the main spindle turning

thanks alot everyone for your time and prompt response to my issue... HuFlungDung's response is what made me go digging into the parameters...

Back