What's new
What's new

Drilling N50 HS Steel

HTP Machine

Plastic
Anybody have a good way to drill N50 HS Steel? I have a Hitachi Seiki HT20 CNC Lathe with 15 hp motor. Having problems drilling 1inch diameter hole X 1.250 deep.
What would be a good type drill for this process. Hole finishes at 1.04 diameter.
I know the 15 hp is limiting me but is there a drill that would work?

Wished I had high pressure coolant but I don’t
So like a DFT style insert drill would work well?

That type of Drill is a battering ram. I use them all the time, but they are LOUD when they are doing their job, that's how you know. The high pitched screaming should be heard form a block away. BUT you still need to plumb coolant to them, not just Flood but through the Drill. Make sure the Drill is on center, within about .04-05", if it's not---fix it.

R

Anybody have a good way to drill N50 HS Steel? I have a Hitachi Seiki HT20 CNC Lathe with 15 hp motor. Having problems drilling 1inch diameter hole X 1.250 deep.
What would be a good type drill for this process. Hole finishes at 1.04 diameter.
I know the 15 hp is limiting me but is there a drill that would work?

Nitronic 50 aka N50 stainless steel?

YMMV but limiting factor is probably spindle torque before you are anywhere near 15 HP as you probably have to go pretty slow.

Using an insert drill would be ok but the deafening squealing that can be heard a block away would probably irritate other tenants in my area. I’ll try this insertable dril but any way to dial the squeal volume down?
And also would the Ecocut tool mentioned above create noise as well or is this noise just normal from HS Steel ?
Thanks

Using an insert drill would be ok but the deafening squealing that can be heard a block away would probably irritate other tenants in my area. I’ll try this insertable dril but any way to dial the squeal volume down?
And also would the Ecocut tool mentioned above create noise as well or is this noise just normal from HS Steel ?
Thanks

Yes, don't use a DFT style insert Drill. Use a Sandvik 880 Drill. Much quieter, great Drill too. Iscar also makes Indexable Drills with small square inserts, that are great. When you order them, be sure you get the right Grade insert for the material you are cutting.

R

Yes, don't use a DFT style insert Drill. Use a Sandvik 880 Drill. Much quieter, great Drill too. Iscar also makes Indexable Drills with small square inserts, that are great. When you order them, be sure you get the right Grade insert for the material you are cutting.

R

Iscar IC808. You're going to need coolant through for optimal drilling. Doesn't need to be high pressure. I've drilled six inches deep with a replaceable head 0.562" drill with stock coolant on a Haas lathe. DO NOT PECK! You get a chip between the insert and the bottom of the hole and spin on it, your drill is done.

Wished I had high pressure coolant but I don’t

Time to get your finger out and add it, then. Or wish you had done. It isn't exactly rocket laundry nor waterjetting. Folks package and sell this stuff, "turnkey", if DIY is not expensive enough.

See Rob's post. Or Douglas.

You can fool Mother Nature .... sometimes. N50 and cousins? Not so much.

Long and short of it, high pressure-through makes just about ALL drilling more productive and faster-money-earning. Chips TF OUT. Holes go deeper, faster. More materials are "machinable". Tools last longer. Revenue TF IN.

You have it not, guy down the road does have. He soon gets to eat off your dinner plate. No longer any mystery about that. Proven performer, rather.

The Science Of High-Pressure Coolant

Drilling With High Pressure - Canadian Metalworking

High-pressure coolant breaks the vapor barrier | Cutting Tool Engineering

Coolant Mitsubishi

Don't need it for the next task? Easy.

Just shut it off.

:)

EcoCut are asymmetric, one insert, therefore no harmonics from one insert to the other. Less squeal. I like them because of this and because I can bore and turn with the same tool. Seek for optimum speed and feed, I’d go 60 m/min or 200 sfm and 0,05 mm/rev or 0.002"/rev. Raise oil content of coolant to 10 percent. You have more than 20 percent Cr with that alloy, perhaps a little Si, a terrible mixture that eats your tool. Coated inserts

I had good luck with Walter Drill in Nitronic material, although not that large in diameter.

Back