What's new
What's new

Drilling Out Allied #4 MT Shank?

Ox

Diamond
Y'ever drilled out the #4 MT shank for the sake of TSC before?

I have to drill several 1.06 holes 23" through in the HMC coming up.
I think that I can come in from both ends tho, so a bit more dooable....

And Shirley I can buy one with a 1.250 shank on it, but I find that I have a brand spankin' new Allied spade body (old skewl (Madison?) style - not TA) setting on the shelf with a #4 MT shank.
Those are not cornfiggered to allow coolant through ... but I'm thinkin' that I can make it werk.
???

The slot for the drill drift is going to be up in the taper of the holder, so it would be in the spindle, so it should seal good enough to make pressure I'm thinkin'...
???

Maybe I shouldn't turn the TSC on until the tool is for sure in the cut so's not to spit it out, but otherwise - I'm thinkin' that this should werk.

My coolant is NOT high pressure on that machine.
Just a good solid Gusher type.

Does anyone have any experience to the contrary?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Does anyone have any experience to the contrary?
No, but...

I'd surely grab a 4 MT sleeve, stack it clear down to 1 MT all outta the tool crib, already paid-for.. so as to see how the coolant actually behaves flow-wise before I'd touch the spade drill head that as-had is at least "trading material".

Page two:

All I know is what I read in the funny papers - but that has included advice in a PM thread from a guru at Allied, directly, that my 7 HP DP cannot effectively pull a spade above right about this size - and I'm of the impression even THAT would be time a-wasted without gen-you-whine high-pressure coolant.

Invested in classical helical twist drills and an assortment of annulars, instead.

But I ain't the one as needs a hole this deep, so..

Here

(that were an ignorant grain of salt. The peppercorns I save for legal matters....)

:)
2CW

It's not 1500 psi, but it's got some serious snot behind it for a Gusher.
It impresses me!
I run other spades in there, and I have 30hp (Siemens) and a geared head.
We're not gunna run outta assets here!
The 3 inch that I was trying to drive a yr or two ago - well .... that was a bit slow....

----------------

Sweatin' to the Oldies!
Ox

It's not 1500 psi, but it's got some serious snot behind it for a Gusher.
It impresses me!
I run other spades in there, and I have 30hp (Siemens) and a geared head.
We're not gunna run outta assets here!
The 3 inch that I was trying to drive a yr or two ago - well .... that was a bit slow....

----------------

Sweatin' to the Oldies!
Ox

Meaaahh.. There's the "effective" area of that MT cone to deal with, yah? All the MT drilling goods I've see with that level - pressure and/or volume - of coolant-thru used a gland and side port to their coolant bore - well forward of the taper's gage-line.

I don't know whether pressure at the rear gets to the sides and ejects the bugger somewhere in the cycle -retraction part most of all - or not.

That's the part I suggested you flow and pressure-test, spindle idle.

Pictures, please, and full-motion if you manage to emulate the notorious "Dynamite Cruiser Vesuvius" shelling Cuba with air-rifles on steroids....

:)

I tried it as was first off.
After about 5" down I decided that it was time to dick with it ....

The bottom half of the hole looks better than the top!

I was getting chip packing - even with pull-out and a horizontal.

The Allied holder drilled out like nothing.
I'm guessing 86L20?

Now - the decades old Balas Cat50 on the other hand ....
That had a small hole through to the drift slot, and I drilled the firth hole through like that (pic) but ... then a fella always wants "more" eh?
So I went to core drill that out a little more, and I can say that _ that holder is through hardened!
I won't be askin' anything more from that drill bit. :bowdown:

I'm not sure that I'm gitt'n all that much more through anymore tho.
MORE out the nose of the spindle - sure!
(The drift slots break out at the spindle nose)
FWIW - that drill will go 15" deep

DSCN2190_zps7rr82idx.jpg

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I tried it as was first off.
After about 5" down I decided that it was time to dick with it ....

The bottom half of the hole looks better than the top!

I was getting chip packing - even with pull-out and a horizontal.

The Allied holder drilled out like nothing.
I'm guessing 86L20?

Now - the decades old Balas Cat50 on the other hand ....
That had a small hole through to the drift slot, and I drilled the firth hole through like that (pic) but ... then a fella always wants "more" eh?
So I went to core drill that out a little more, and I can say that _ that holder is through hardened!
I won't be askin' anything more from that drill bit. :bowdown:

I'm not sure that I'm gitt'n all that much more through anymore tho.
MORE out the nose of the spindle - sure!
(The drift slots break out at the spindle nose)
FWIW - that drill will go 15" deep

DSCN2190_zps7rr82idx.jpg

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

WooHoo !

time for some carb cleaner and "Tub & shower sillycone"

Clean off the parts you want it to stick to, and then slob it on.
grease up the parts you don't.....:D

Or maybe "can foam" for the larger gaps.....

Last edited:
It may be possible to put a big D ring and seal up most of it, but as the slot runs out slightly past the end of the taper, it would hafta be perfectly placed and even then - not likely 100% seal, but it could prolly help, but other than overspray, I doubt that it would change much as the pump likely doesn't have much more pressure at the slightly lower GPM. (Gusher style)

In other news tho - I had to ditch that drill. :(

I only had the one insert (I thought that I had 2, but only found 1) and it only drilled one and a half holes total, and it was trashed.
It was just a bright HSS insert. Maybe I was runnin' it too fast? (1.062 @ 600 RPM in A36)
That was Friday night. :eek:

I found on-line that night or early Sat morn that my toy store had a long, or extended reach, or ???? #2 straight shank drill in stock that takes the "TA" inserts, with a pack of the right size inserts.
Add to that that I had 3 or 4 inserts that size in-house, and I was better suited. I picked it up first thing Sat morning! :bowdown:
The new one will even run through the tool changer, although I'm using all the reach that the drill offers. (11" I think?)

I am having MUCH better luck with the TA holder! (inserts)
Actually - I started with a slightly used insert as I had a bad hole bottom to go back in on with the new tool, and I haven't changed it yet.
(7 holes since is all - just getting going good now)

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Allied spade drills are my favorite metalcutting tools of all time!

Very forgiving, reliable, affordable, smooth straight holes...what’s not to love?

ToolCat

Back