Drilling recommendations - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BALNH View Post
    After looking at he step file I may end up having to mill the holes to finish diameter. The hole pattern leaves a .013 web between holes. I think reaming will bulge the adjacent hole.

You might wunna consider drilling 5/32-3/16 SMD and then coming back with a 1/4" end mill and plunging it.

I'm thinking that the extra beef under the mill will help to hold it in place as you go through - at least better than interp'ing. Maybe not as good as EDM.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    LOLZ
    Deltronic pin sets aren't very expensive.
    Just bought a .191 set. $150

This is why Deltronic pins are used... How are you going to check +/-.0002 when the tool is only accurate to .0002? I much prefer deltronic pins even to my Zeiss scanning CMM when the hole size permits it.

3 flute drill from Guhring or Mitsubishi should do it . +.001 -.000 isnt that bad. Might need them to custom build a .2503-.2505 drill though?
    MA Ford Carbide TRU Size reamers are great. They are usually +.0001 -.0000 on hole size.
    $150 for a .191 set, that's what 24-25 pins. How much for 400 pins?

I'm not disagreeing with you when you're talking down to 1 or 2 tenths but let's keep in mind the OP requirements +.001. No need to go crazy on super precise pins and gages for that tolerance. Not to mention how much time will it take to get the pin, measure it because you can't see the number on it, check the hole, doesn't fit, grab the next pin and so on and so forth. In 5 seconds you can measure the hole and know whether it's good or not.

Concerning the accuracy, sure it may be .00016, but with a good ring gage and knowing how to use the thing correctly, you could probably get within .0001 reliably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Tech View Post
    $150 for a .191 set, that's what 24-25 pins. How much for 400 pins?

I'm not disagreeing with you when you're talking down to 1 or 2 tenths but let's keep in mind the OP requirements +.001. No need to go crazy on super precise pins and gages for that tolerance. Not to mention how much time will it take to get the pin, measure it because you can't see the number on it, check the hole, doesn't fit, grab the next pin and so on and so forth. In 5 seconds you can measure the hole and know whether it's good or not.

Concerning the accuracy, sure it may be .00016, but with a good ring gage and knowing how to use the thing correctly, you could probably get within .0001 reliably.
    I was more so responding to your application of .1875-.1878.

For the OP application I'd just get a .2500++ pin for a go and a .251 -- pin for a no go.

4. Likes BALNH liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    I was more so responding to your application of .1875-.1878.

For the OP application I'd just get a .2500++ pin for a go and a .251 -- pin for a no go.
    Oh, sorry didn't realize that.

The bore gage you mentioned earlier (526 series) is not the one I was referring to. It's a bore mic, like an Etalon, but is only 2 point vs 3. They're the 368 series and accuracy is .0001 (not +/- according to the Mitutoyo website) for the smaller sizes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+ 1.
    3 flute carbide drills give reamer limit holes. They are a little expensive but worth every cent.

Quote Originally Posted by doug925 View Post
    There are 3 ways to skin this cat, using drilling only.
    1) a 3 flute, 1/4" carbide drill should blow that hole with no problems. The 3rd flute helps stabilize the drill, & act more like a reamer.

2) test cut using the desired drill, and the exact same parameters you programmed for on the actual job. Tweak it until the diameter comes in, or provides enough data to predict if it will work or not.
    I would think that a screw machine length, parabolic (?), bright flute would do it without problems.

3) drill a Ø15/64" hole first, and follow that back up with the 1/4", running 1.5x feed and .5 rpm.

Doug.

7. Likes doug925, BALNH liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Tech View Post
    Oh, sorry didn't realize that.

The bore gage you mentioned earlier (526 series) is not the one I was referring to. It's a bore mic, like an Etalon, but is only 2 point vs 3. They're the 368 series and accuracy is .0001 (not +/- according to the Mitutoyo website) for the smaller sizes.
    Yes, but aren't those graduated .0002"?

You are right about not going out to buy 400 pins in tenths or whatever. But normally, you have a job that gives you something (WAG) like a .2500-.2505 tolerance, so you go to McMaster or whatever -
    McMaster-Carr
    and buy the set you need, put on shelf when done. No need to spend 10k upfront...

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Yes, but aren't those graduated .0002"?

You are right about not going out to buy 400 pins in tenths or whatever. But normally, you have a job that gives you something (WAG) like a .2500-.2505 tolerance, so you go to McMaster or whatever -
    McMaster-Carr
    and buy the set you need, put on shelf when done. No need to spend 10k upfront...
    They're graduated in .0001 increments on the vernier scale, just like an OD mic.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you looked at the Kennametal TX drills?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tell me more about these 3 flute drills. What kind of tolerances to expect on holes. I have couple of jobs coming up with a ton of holes. I ended up reaming this job no problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Consider an Iscar sumocham drill. The tips are available with double margins for increased accuracy. I think they go down to 1/4" or so.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BALNH View Post
    Tell me more about these 3 flute drills. What kind of tolerances to expect on holes. I have couple of jobs coming up with a ton of holes. I ended up reaming this job no problem
    When I ran them, I was going for penetration in 4140HT round, not for precision. It just so happened that the hole diameter was fairly tight (not on the print, but in reality) and consistent. IIRC, it was about +.001"
    Again, I was not going for that accuracy, it just ended up being that good. This was a Ø3/8" drill going through 2" 4140HT, 1 peck, and using TSC.

I used an Iscar drill, but I believe multiple companies sell them.
    Call in a rep to get the best info, and possibly a test drill.

Best of luck,

Doug.

14. Likes BALNH liked this post