What's new
What's new

Drilling srategy for Invar 36

yoke

Hot Rolled
I might have working in Invar at some point but it's been a long time. I need to drill a .468 hole 5 inches through a .5 rod. I have 1000 PSI through tool coolant available. What drill do you exotic guys like to use for such a task?

I haven't had the pleasure of drilling Invar 10x the diameter. But Invar isn't really that bad. It's not loaded with Nickel, it has some but it's not like Kovar. I'd say any coolant through Drill that will reach would be fine. If you need to pinch some pennies, I'd probably try HSS first. If it were me.

R

IF you need to break a chip, don't retract. Just dwell for a single rev and keep drilling.

Agree with the WEDM, but if not an option start with 5/8" OD, drill from both ends, mount on mandrel and turn OD to final size. I'd probably prefer to drill a little undersize and use a sharp carbide reamer to finish the entire length from one side before turning the OD.

Hi yoke:
How were you planning to hold this thing?
Unless there's a typo this tube will have a 0.016" wall.
If you give it a decent squeeze in a chuck you could well collapse it onto the drill and make a pig's breakfast instantly.

Have you considered having it wire EDM cut?

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

I'm going to make a full captured ball groove fixture with lid. I've approached acrylic round drilling the same way with good results.

The thin wall gave me more of a concern in regards to heating up.

We are considering having them EDMed too. The quantity is just high enough that if I had a solution where I could drill them it would make a significant difference on lead time.

I would be using a relieved reamer to finish to keep load down.

Back