What's new
What's new

Drip Feeding Brother TC-S2A

mxwrench

Plastic
As of now, I am downloading and uploading programs using the shoplink flash 2.0 but there is no where near enough memory on the control for the programs I want to run. Is it possible to drip feed/tape run on the S2A? According to the applications engineer at yamazen, it isn't. Under my user parameters, switch 1, I can change the memory run type to TAPE but I get a no tape function alarm. I believe it is possible on the S2B with the same A00 control so why cant I get it to work?

Does anyone have any advice for me to try? Yamazen offers a memory upgrade but it is so minimal it wont help me.

As of now, I am downloading and uploading programs using the shoplink flash 2.0 but there is no where near enough memory on the control for the programs I want to run. Is it possible to drip feed/tape run on the S2A? According to the applications engineer at yamazen, it isn't. Under my user parameters, switch 1, I can change the memory run type to TAPE but I get a no tape function alarm. I believe it is possible on the S2B with the same A00 control so why cant I get it to work?

Does anyone have any advice for me to try? Yamazen offers a memory upgrade but it is so minimal it wont help me.

S2A doesnt have capability to drip feed >.<

The A00 control machines can be drip fed, but it depends on the software version. I believe Tape Run is available with software versions 23 and higher. There is a pcb (Local pcb?) that sticks out perpendicular from the NC board. It's about 2 x 8 inches. The software version is on a white tag on the back of this board. You can see it with a flashlight. The software version can be upgraded. Sometimes the NC board needs to be upgraded too. Early NC boards do not accommodate the newer software versions. That may be the case with your machine. Somewhere down the line someone replaced the NC board but didn't upgrade the software? Yamazen parts dept. can help you sort it out.

The A00 control machines can be drip fed, but it depends on the software version. I believe Tape Run is available with software versions 23 and higher. There is a pcb (Local pcb?) that sticks out perpendicular from the NC board. It's about 2 x 8 inches. The software version is on a white tag on the back of this board. You can see it with a flashlight. The software version can be upgraded. Sometimes the NC board needs to be upgraded too. Early NC boards do not accommodate the newer software versions. That may be the case with your machine. Somewhere down the line someone replaced the NC board but didn't upgrade the software? Yamazen parts dept. can help you sort it out.

My NC pcb is B52J090-4 which I'm told is a later board. The mem pcb has a white sticker on the back that says A00-WE33 which yamazen told me I could replace to gain more memory. There are also serial numbers on both these boards. I don't see where anything says what version of software I have unless its 1303057E which is on the nc pcb or 040119B which is on the mem pcb. I spoke with yamazen and they only offered the new mem pcb but nothing about a tape run. I can even bring up the tap run screen on my control. Im curios what is actually different between the s2b that allows it.
IMG_2533.jpg

My NC pcb is B52J090-4 which I'm told is a later board. The mem pcb has a white sticker on the back that says A00-WE33 which yamazen told me I could replace to gain more memory. There are also serial numbers on both these boards. I don't see where anything says what version of software I have unless its 1303057E which is on the nc pcb or 040119B which is on the mem pcb. I spoke with yamazen and they only offered the new mem pcb but nothing about a tape run. I can even bring up the tap run screen on my control. Im curios what is actually different between the s2b that allows it.
View attachment 182068

Hi - I have a 2005 TC-S2B and am able to drip feed like you suggest. Really handy and I often use it. Interestingly my NC PCB is also B52J090-4 so fingers crossed you can get it going! The only number I could find on my MEM PCB is B52J073-2.

To drip feed mine I toggle the 3rd item down on User Param Switch 1 to '1' (as shown in pic)....then whilst exiting this screen via F0, it says hit 'reset' switch. From then in mem mode no progs are displayed and I just have to press the green start button and then click 'start' on the NC Link software and all gets going.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Good luck,
Chris.

IMG_5374.jpg

Hi - I have a 2005 TC-S2B and am able to drip feed like you suggest. Really handy and I often use it. Interestingly my NC PCB is also B52J090-4 so fingers crossed you can get it going! The only number I could find on my MEM PCB is B52J073-2.

To drip feed mine I toggle the 3rd item down on User Param Switch 1 to '1' (as shown in pic)....then whilst exiting this screen via F0, it says hit 'reset' switch. From then in mem mode no progs are displayed and I just have to press the green start button and then click 'start' on the NC Link software and all gets going.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Good luck,
Chris.

View attachment 182093
That is exactly the same procedure I'm following but when Im asked to hit reset I get a "no tape function" alarm. I am using the shop link flash which I'm told is capable of drip feeding from the usb. I do have a old dell mini running a 32 bit OS so could I download nc link get a cable/adapter and see if that would work? any chance you take pictures of your 4 communication parameters pages?

That is exactly the same procedure I'm following but when Im asked to hit reset I get a "no tape function" alarm. I am using the shop link flash which I'm told is capable of drip feeding from the usb. What NC link software are you using?

Software is called 'NC-Link'.... try CAD/CAM CNC | OneCNC CAD/CAM Software

It's free if you search....works perfectly for me but your problem I think at the moment is the "no tape function" error rather than what software you use to dripfeed (in my case via RS232).

Maybe not connected but I only have the G-Code option on my machine (and not a switch that allows me to choose conversational if I prefer). The consequence is that I have more internal memory (but still not enough for some programs hence why I dripfeed often).

There's not a switch in some other parameter set that enables tape run is there?

Software is called 'NC-Link'.... try CAD/CAM CNC | OneCNC CAD/CAM Software

It's free if you search....works perfectly for me but your problem I think at the moment is the "no tape function" error rather than what software you use to dripfeed (in my case via RS232).

Maybe not connected but I only have the G-Code option on my machine (and not a switch that allows me to choose conversational if I prefer). The consequence is that I have more internal memory (but still not enough for some programs hence why I dripfeed often).

There's not a switch in some other parameter set that enables tape run is there?

I just got off the phone tech support and they believe it is a issue with me trying to drip feed from the usb. He is send me brothers dnc software but I might also try the software you are using since we know it works. what type of cable are you using and are you using a usb to serial port adapter?

I just got off the phone tech support and they believe it is a issue with me trying to drip feed from the usb. He is send me brothers dnc software but I might also try the software you are using since we know it works. what type of cable are you using and are you using a usb to serial port adapter?

Hi - I'd keep it simple for the moment and not at this point involve all the ancillary stuff like leads and software, but focus on why you're getting this 'no tape function' error. I say this as I just pulled the RS232 lead out of mine, switched the machine on and was able to switch between 'tape run' and 'memory' getting no error (unlike you) when hitting the reset key when requested....that's me assuming you're getting this error though when nothing is plugged in???????

So once you've jumped that hurdle, I use an RS232 cable that I made having searched the web - think I'm using software rather then hardware hand-shaking IIRC - and most importantly, I started with a USB to Serial cable, but this after a few thousand lines would throw in the odd rogue character (!!) and I eventually eliminated that by ditching the adapter and using a true COM port.....so advice is don't even be tempted with an adapter.

I got your PM thanks....will take a look at my MEM PCB in a little more detail shortly - will keep you posted!

just found the white sticker on the back of my MEM PCB and it says A00-WE34 ....so one number up from yours whatever that means...

If the machine ends up supporting DNC i'd buy a calmotion box for it. I have them on my s2B and they work great. My S2A didnt support drip feeding and it wasnt worth it for me to upgrade the boards.

just found the white sticker on the back of my MEM PCB and it says A00-WE34 ....so one number up from yours whatever that means...

I bet that is the difference. I wonder if I could get that mem pcb with that version of software and it be compatible with my nc pcb. It might just work. I'll call tech support in the morning. They already told me I had a newer nc pcb.

If the machine ends up supporting DNC i'd buy a calmotion box for it. I have them on my s2B and they work great. My S2A didnt support drip feeding and it wasnt worth it for me to upgrade the boards.

I just order the new mem pcb with A00-WE38 software on it. They said it should be compatible with my main nc pcb. They actually aren't sure what is going to happen but they are curious to know as well. He said if it doesn't work and its not fried I can send it back for a full refund. Both of these guys I've been dealing with have been very patient with me and very helpful. I'll post a update when I get it in a couple days.

I just order the new mem pcb with A00-WE38 software on it. They said it should be compatible with my main nc pcb. They actually aren't sure what is going to happen but they are curious to know as well. He said if it doesn't work and its not fried I can send it back for a full refund. Both of these guys I've been dealing with have been very patient with me and very helpful. I'll post a update when I get it in a couple days.

That's good news - finger's crossed for you!

It makes me curious now as to the difference of my A00-WE34 to the WE38 version.

Looking forward to hearing the results!....and if it works, remember do not be tempted by a USB to Serial adapter!!!

Instead do what I do (genuine COM port) or use Calmotion.
Chris.

That's good news - finger's crossed for you!

It makes me curious now as to the difference of my A00-WE34 to the WE38 version.

Looking forward to hearing the results!....and if it works, remember do not be tempted by a USB to Serial adapter!!!

Instead do what I do (genuine COM port) or use Calmotion.
Chris.

I already purchased the shoplink flash 2.0 which I believe is just a cheaper version of the calmotion box. If I cant get that to work, I was going to look on ebay for a refurb pc with a genuine serial port and use the brother communication software or something similar.

Most pc motherboards have serial port headers, they just don't have the port. Kind of like the usb ports on the front of your pc, they are plugged into headers on the motherboard. You just need to get a port, or two, to plug into the header.

Update:

Got the new mem pcb with the updated a00-we38 version software and it still wont drip feed. When I bring up the tape run screen it will load my program off my usb but it gives the same no tape function alarm. I cant figure out what the difference between the s2b and s2a actually is. Not sure if I missing something software or hardware related. Been on the phone with yamazen over a dozen times and no one is knows. My version screen says at the top its an s2a, what would it take to think its a s2b since its the same a00 controller? So far I know it has the same nc pcb and mem pcb.

Update:

Got the new mem pcb with the updated a00-we38 version software and it still wont drip feed. When I bring up the tape run screen it will load my program off my usb but it gives the same no tape function alarm. I cant figure out what the difference between the s2b and s2a actually is. Not sure if I missing something software or hardware related. Been on the phone with yamazen over a dozen times and no one is knows. My version screen says at the top its an s2a, what would it take to think its a s2b since its the same a00 controller? So far I know it has the same nc pcb and mem pcb.

I think it would be worth a service tech visit.

Back