What's new
What's new

Dynapath Delta 20 power supply wiring

madsci

Plastic
I'm trying to troubleshoot a fault on my Tree Journeyman 325 and I need to check the power supply outputs for the control. It's p/n 4200851 and has a strip of 11 screw terminals, but I can't find drawings for it anywhere.

I've got the Tree machine drawings, and somehow I have about 5 hard copies of the Dynapath customer information manual, but the internal wiring of the control (including the panel and CRT) is barely addressed at all.

Does anyone have this information? I emailed Dynapath yesterday but haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks,

Scott

From what I have seen there are two power supplies used in those controls. One has all the connections on the "top". The other has all the outputs on the "top", but the 110V power comes in the opposite side, the "bottom" if you like.

Every one I have seen is labeled on the actual power supply what the screw terminals are.

DynaPath

The Dynapath is very sensitive to voltage ripple. It will cause watch dog alarms and other issues. You can check the voltage with a multimeter, but you will need an oscilloscope to measure ripple.

I'll have to check in the morning - just gave up for the night and came home. And I've got dozens of reference photos of the inside of that machine, but I never have the angle I need.

If there are any markings, they must be on the top cover that I took off and set aside while I was trying to get access.

Oscilloscope's not a problem - I put the handheld one on to charge as soon as the initial fault happened. We're primarily an electronics shop (the Tree is used for stuff like end panels) so we've got plenty of test equipment and tools.

I found a forum post that said the Mean Well QP-320 is a suitable replacement for the Dynapath power supply, and at about 1/5 the price of a refurbished original, I think that's the route I'm going to go if it does turn out to be the power supply and it's anything more involved than replacing some electrolytic caps.

Thanks,

Scott

I think that's the route I'm going to go if it does turn out to be the power supply and it's anything more involved than replacing some electrolytic caps.

That's all I've ever done with them. Usually if they are dead it's the rectifier diodes on the incoming side. Then replace all the old caps and you should be good to go.

It looks like mine may in fact have the same markings on the board, but they're almost totally covered by the terminal block. The cover isn't solid like in your photo - it's just a perforated grille with no markings on it.

2019-01-19 09.57.45.jpg

I found AC ripple on one just with a multimeter. Terminal #6 is 24VDC, That one had 24VDC and also had 36 to 45 VAC when tested on AC. Was killing cooling fans.

The markings are under your wires remove a wire and you will see it. The chart is not on the cover, it's on the back. Remove he powersupply and flip it over

I think I've worked out all of the connections - I'm seeing:

5.19V
5.19V
GND
GND
GND
26.04V
-16.17V
15.1V
Neutral
Hot
Chassis

Ripple is under 6 mVAC except on the +24V output, which is reading about 87 mVAC. That's according to my Fluke 87, haven't broken out the oscilloscope yet.

That definitely seems out of spec - the troubleshooting notes I found say it should be less than 30 mV. Guess it's time to see if I can get that supply out of there and start replacing caps.

Thanks,

Scott

I have an original Delta 10/20 installation manual. If you find out you need other info, I'll dig it out and see if I can scan some pages. Manual could be bought too. PM if interested

I haven't figured out how to take the power supply off without disassembling the whole control chassis. It looks like it's attached with screws from the other side, and even with all of the cards removed I think I'd still have to remove parts of the card cage.

I have an original Delta 10/20 installation manual. If you find out you need other info, I'll dig it out and see if I can scan some pages. Manual could be bought too. PM if interested
Do you have the actual installation manual versus the CIM, I have been trying to find the installation manual online but have not found one

Do you have the actual installation manual versus the CIM, I have been trying to find the installation manual online but have not found one

It is the installation manual. Covers servos, encoders, spindle drives, and basic I/O. I'm not sure what you mean by CIM.

It does not cover the PIC. There was a separate manual for PIC programming.

I got the manual when I worked as a field service and applications engineer for Ellison Machinery back in the late 80s to early 90s. They owned Tree back then and I sat through some training on the Dynapath equipped machines.

Does the manual cover the PROM settings? I've always hoped I might be able to burn a new PROM for mine and convince it it has a 4th axis. Or is that in the PIC programming?

I picked up a cheap little rotary axis with 50mm 3-jaw chuck that I used for my marking laser and I'd like to get another for the Tree.

All you need is a stubby screw driver of some kind. It's not that bad. You don't have to pull the chassis.

Hmm... I just don't see how. I could get to the bottom two screws that way, but the top two are inside a hollow sheet metal section about 1 cm high at the top of the card cage. If I took all of the cards out I could maybe reach the screws with my finger through the holes in the lower piece of sheet metal, but I don't think I have any driver that could get to them at that angle.

It is the installation manual. Covers servos, encoders, spindle drives, and basic I/O. I'm not sure what you mean by CIM.

It does not cover the PIC. There was a separate manual for PIC programming.

I got the manual when I worked as a field service and applications engineer for Ellison Machinery back in the late 80s to early 90s. They owned Tree back then and I sat through some training on the Dynapath equipped machines.

The CIM was there customer information manual,bavailaboe to dynapath users, covered conversational programing, code, etc, how the customer used dynapath. Installation manual covered information to the machine builders and covered information used to install dynapath on a machine, was available to machine builders, service techs,etc. not usually available to the end user.
Sam

You can lift that top cover up at the front to access the screws. I think you're over analyzing it.

Ah, got it - didn't know that part could open. I'll pull that out tomorrow and start replacing caps. Thanks!

I got the power supply out and I've been checking it out on the bench. I don't get the +/- 15v or 24v outputs unless I put a load on the 5v side - not sure if that's normal or not. With a 1-amp load there's > 50 mV of ripple on 5v. I can see where one resistor has had the color code burned right off. I'm sure this unit is repairable but if the Mean Well one will do the trick for $120, I think that'll be a better use of my time. I'll order one now and see how it goes.

Scott

Back