What's new
What's new

Easy and cheap Fadal screen replacement!

aarongough

Stainless
Hey guys!
The screen on one of my Fadals died a few weeks back, luckily I have another machine I use less so I was able to borrow the screen from that to keep running. When I looked into buying a new screen the prices were all a bit nuts, given that we're just talking about a simple monitor here...

So I spent some time digging around for another option. I found a Chinese company that makes embedded monitors, they have an AliExpress store that is not very well organized, but eventually I came up with the perfect solution: 12.1" LCD monitor at AliExpress

It's a 12.1" LCD with BNC inputs as well as HDMI and USB. Powered by a simple 12V wall wart. Given the price I took a chance and bought one...

It showed up about a week later, well packaged and quality seems good:

It came with a wall-wart power supply, but I didn't want to do something sketchy like soldering the 120V leads in the pendant to the wall wart, so I bought a 12V switching power supply from Digikey: https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/mean-well-usa-inc/RS-25-12/1866-4140-ND/7706175

I probably could have just taken power from the 12V rails in the pendant, but I don't know how close to capacity that 12V power supply is and I didn't want to risk it, installing a separate power supply is not a big deal.

Installation was pretty straight forward: I removed the steel bracket inside the pendant that was used to support the CRT as it's no longer needed and takes up space. With that out of the way I re-routed the 120V power lines to the new power supply and simply double-side tape mounted it in the bottom of the cabinet. You could drill a couple of holes for mounting screws but I didn't think it was worth the hassle... I cut the power cable off the wall-wart adapter and wired it into the power supply, then drilled a couple of extra holes in the mounting brackets that were supplied with the monitor and used those to mount the monitor in the existing hole, after removing the CRT bezel:

The BNC inputs worked perfectly with the Fadal's video signal. No flickering/jumping or any other issues. The screen automatically turns on and remembers the correct input when power is applied, and you can change the background of the monitor to either blue or black.

Additionally it has a USB input and can play many different types of media off a thumb drive, so if you get bored you can always watch something on the display while running the machine :D :D

Total cost was about $130 USD, and the installation took less than an hour!

The screen is not perfect. It would be better if it was matte, and the viewing angle on the screen is not great. But it's about 1/6th of the price of the other 'Fadal' options so it's great from that perspective! I'm going to talk to the chinese company that makes them and see if they'll do a version with a matte IPS display for a bit more.

The fit of the screen inside the pendant is also not perfect relative to the hole. I plan to have a steel sheet laser cut as an 'adapter plate' to get the fit perfect and make it more secure. I will share the DXF of the plate once it's done!

Anyway, hopefully this is helpful for someone else in the same position!

-Aaron

I am seeing pics...?

edit: I am also using chrome

Probably a firewall thing here at the office, they showed up on my phone.

Damn, that's slick. I don't need a new screen, but this sure is nice.

I wonder if you could tie one of the inputs to a remote client and RDP into your desktop? You could tweak code directly at the machine.

I've never understood the monitor replacement cost on a Fadal. I also
haven't understood the LCD replacement "Kit" cost either. Its a little
outrageous.

For years I had been using some 11" ones from e-bay, about $130 each and
they didn't last all that long, I've got quite a few dead ones sitting
around here. Now I have a new source.

We are lucky. Apparently not all machines are that easy to throw a different
screen into.

And that one has a BCN plug on it. The ones I was using had an RCA input and
you can get A BCN to RCA adaptor at Radio Shak (if you can still find one) for
about $6, or you can buy a big bag full on E-bay for $4 with free shipping.

One issue I ran into, the monitors I was using were for cars, so 12volts right? Sometimes
it would work, but I had one that would not. A car doesn't run on 12v, they run about 14v,
so some 14v lap top chargers worked really well.

My installation. 11" monitor. Just some .060" 6061 I had kicking around and some
black hammer tone paint from down at the hardware store. Nothing special, but it
doesn't look that bad. The screen wasn't fuzzy, just a bad pic.

22900554033_c5739b6737_c.jpg

Aaron,Thanks for posting this. This will help a lot of us save some cash. Can you post another link for the monitor. The link takes me to an error page.
Thanks

Hey guys!
The screen on one of my Fadals died a few weeks back, luckily I have another machine I use less so I was able to borrow the screen from that to keep running. When I looked into buying a new screen the prices were all a bit nuts, given that we're just talking about a simple monitor here...

So I spent some time digging around for another option. I found a Chinese company that makes embedded monitors, they have an AliExpress store that is not very well organized, but eventually I came up with the perfect solution: 12.1" LCD monitor at AliExpress

It's a 12.1" LCD with BNC inputs as well as HDMI and USB. Powered by a simple 12V wall wart. Given the price I took a chance and bought one...

It showed up about a week later, well packaged and quality seems good:

It came with a wall-wart power supply, but I didn't want to do something sketchy like soldering the 120V leads in the pendant to the wall wart, so I bought a 12V switching power supply from Digikey: https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/mean-well-usa-inc/RS-25-12/1866-4140-ND/7706175

I probably could have just taken power from the 12V rails in the pendant, but I don't know how close to capacity that 12V power supply is and I didn't want to risk it, installing a separate power supply is not a big deal.

Installation was pretty straight forward: I removed the steel bracket inside the pendant that was used to support the CRT as it's no longer needed and takes up space. With that out of the way I re-routed the 120V power lines to the new power supply and simply double-side tape mounted it in the bottom of the cabinet. You could drill a couple of holes for mounting screws but I didn't think it was worth the hassle... I cut the power cable off the wall-wart adapter and wired it into the power supply, then drilled a couple of extra holes in the mounting brackets that were supplied with the monitor and used those to mount the monitor in the existing hole, after removing the CRT bezel:

The BNC inputs worked perfectly with the Fadal's video signal. No flickering/jumping or any other issues. The screen automatically turns on and remembers the correct input when power is applied, and you can change the background of the monitor to either blue or black.

Additionally it has a USB input and can play many different types of media off a thumb drive, so if you get bored you can always watch something on the display while running the machine :D :D

Total cost was about $130 USD, and the installation took less than an hour!

The screen is not perfect. It would be better if it was matte, and the viewing angle on the screen is not great. But it's about 1/6th of the price of the other 'Fadal' options so it's great from that perspective! I'm going to talk to the chinese company that makes them and see if they'll do a version with a matte IPS display for a bit more.

The fit of the screen inside the pendant is also not perfect relative to the hole. I plan to have a steel sheet laser cut as an 'adapter plate' to get the fit perfect and make it more secure. I will share the DXF of the plate once it's done!

Anyway, hopefully this is helpful for someone else in the same position!

-Aaron

In Firefox the link works fine for me. But In IE It goes to aliexpress, but all the Info is just blank boxes, no pics or way to add to cart. So maybe try a different browser.

bumping up this old thread i gots a "new" fadal on the floor with a dead screen wondering if these cheapo screens are holding up over time....

bumping up this old thread i gots a "new" fadal on the floor with a dead screen wondering if these cheapo screens are holding up over time....

Yes, I have two of them in my shop now and they are both working perfectly. One is about a year old and the other is 3 years old now. I honestly don't think they're 'cheapo' screens, I think they're likely the exact same screens as the Fadal parts sellers use, just without the markup...

I actually made a video showing how I replaced the screen with one of these in my second machine:

It has been about a year and a half for this one and working as it should.

The text is slightly high and to the left on this display. There is probably an adjustment for this but I haven't figured it out yet.

We mounted the display on a pivot this helps with the glare and also accommodates shorter operators.

Special thanks to Aaron for posting this replacement procedure.

IMG_2125.jpgIMG_2124.jpgIMG_2123.jpg

Dave

Back