What's new
What's new

ebay machines

JMC

Cast Iron
Just browsing through e-bay and ran across this.....
7" Giddling Lewis Model H70 F CNC Floor Type Horizontal Boring Mill | eBay
Now I don't claim to be an expert, but $600,000 for what looks like maybe $2000 of scrap. Where and how do people value these old machines? Am I just missing something or is there really someone out there dumb enough to think they own a pile of rust that is worth $600k?

I am sure there are many more examples out there but this one by far is the most overvalued thing I have seen....

That is particularly nuts. But there are tons of guys that have sub 50,000 machines that want 500,000+ on ebay and craigslist. I guess it helps justify their existence? Its odd, that's for sure.

The listing party is likely to be a third party like Himes Machinery and others that do not actually have possession of the machine, but pile on to the actually owner. In this case the owner is most likely Belmont Machinery. The third party lists the machine at an inflated price and gets a "commission" of they sell it. That's what happened to me. Two companies listed a lathe, the owner and Himes. I bought the lathe from the owner for about $5000 less than Himes was asking.

Tom

One ebay machinery seller told me he never expects to sell a machine via ebay. He was only using ebay as cheap advertising. Had the company name splashed all over the listing. Figuring that anyone serious about a machine would get hold of them directly to pull together a sale.

Just browsing through e-bay and ran across this.....
7" Giddling Lewis Model H70 F CNC Floor Type Horizontal Boring Mill | eBay
Now I don't claim to be an expert, but $600,000 for what looks like maybe $2000 of scrap. Where and how do people value these old machines? Am I just missing something or is there really someone out there dumb enough to think they own a pile of rust that is worth $600k?

I am sure there are many more examples out there but this one by far is the most overvalued thing I have seen....

4 semi-truckloads it looks like,180,000 pounds,that's $3.30 a pound.I don't know if it is a terrible deal or not.That's is a hell of a big machine though.

ah yes, a used BP for .... more than brand new one costs... I used to think this only applied to cameras (for years it was quite common for ebay prices on cameras to exceed the cost of having a new one shipped direct from any of several retail dealers...) but clearly machine tools deserve the same.... treatment...

what a weird psychology if true. I would never bother calling a dealer with an overpriced machine. Ever. The point of advertising is to generate interest and leads, phone calls. Why not advertise something for a price you expect to sell it for?

I mean should I be calling on 200k machines and offering 50? Just not my style. It either looks like a fair deal or it does not, yeah, I will haggle on the edges, but that business is just silly

@gustafson - also, why do I want to call a dealer who seems to specialize in 180,000# piles of scrap cast iron? I'm much more likely to search for, say, a working HBM (have done so) at sensible prices, and that leads to a different set of dealers.

what a weird psychology if true. I would never bother calling a dealer with an overpriced machine. Ever. The point of advertising is to generate interest and leads, phone calls. Why not advertise something for a price you expect to sell it for?

I mean should I be calling on 200k machines and offering 50? Just not my style. It either looks like a fair deal or it does not, yeah, I will haggle on the edges, but that business is just silly

Remember the old adage "If you give typewriters to enough monkeys for enough time, sooner or later one of 'em will write "War and Peace"?

Well, a monkey is born every minute...

V

Back