What's new
What's new

Eccentric Sleeve, For Drilling On Lathe...?

Jashley73

Titanium
For drilling on lathes... Does anyone know a maker of eccentric drill sleeves/bushings for use on lathes?

Example - My lathe has a 1.5" bore in the I.D. tool's block, and my drill has a 1.25" shank. So I need a reducing sleeve to hold the drill.

BUT - My center-height is off... So if someone makes an adjustable, eccentric sleeve, I could adjust for center-height...

And before someone asks - This is a plain 2-axis lathe, so no Y-axis can be used for offsetting.

Anyone know of anything...? Thanks

Allied Machine here's the link Allied - Item Detail
About $100 less than the Sandvik
I sell both brands FYI. Hit me up if you need a source.

I'll just point out that the allied sleeves have significantly less adjustment range range than most.

Presumably because they are designed specifically for dialling in zero, as opposed to others which are designed for offsetting.

They'll probably be ideal if you're only a few thou off in your turret, but if the error is more severe you'll probably need one of the Sandvik/Tungaloy type ones.

Make a simple bushing on the lathe, keep the thru hole a little smaller than needed.

Mount on turret, take a common mill boring head, and clamp it in the chuck,
bore that bushing in place.

Put an adjustable boring head in your chuck.

Load the block with a near sized blank 1.5 x 1.2(?) and bore a dead nuts hole where you need it.
If there's a way to register the custom bushing, you'll be able to remove and replace without re dialing in

I checked this machine's turret-radial alignemnt today, and it's straight.

I'm not going to futz about on this machine with boring holders/sleeves on-size, when it would require FAR more time. And have to be re-done when the machine gets crashed.

Much better to use the eccentric sleeves that are available. Thank you guys for lending the suggestions.

I checked this machine's turret-radial alignemnt today, and it's straight.

I'm not going to futz about on this machine with boring holders/sleeves on-size, when it would require FAR more time. And have to be re-done when the machine gets crashed.

Much better to use the eccentric sleeves that are available. Thank you guys for lending the suggestions.

If the machine has the head mounted flat on the bed while the turret is on a slant. moving the head in/out will raise or lower the tool in relation to the spindle. The head needs to be aligned in 2 planes, not just straight with the turret travel. BTDT

I ran into this at home on an old QT10 I that the pots were a little low on. I cut up some 1.5" TG shafting about 3" long put spot faces that lined up with the grub screws on the tool pots. I'd just pop the drill or boring head it in a collet/3jaw and dial the turret to X0 and handled into the blank sleeve. Took the sleeve to the bandsaw and cut it most the way through and put it back in using the spot faces to line it up. Did the same thing for ER16 and 32 collet sticks and a couple with 3/4" holes for drill chucks. I had a dozen or so.

Back