What's new
What's new

Economical sources for LCD display panels? Or possible donors in the 9-12" size?

JasonE

Plastic
Economical sources for LCD display panels? Or possible donors in the 9-12" size?

Have a couple machines with old CRTs that need an update. Not really looking for an over priced "plug and play" solution, just universal smaller LCDs that we can adapt in.

Its hard to justify $500 when you can get complete small monitors for less than 100 bucks.

All depends on what protocol is used to drive the CRT. (Actual connector is less of an issue.) On some machines, scan frequency (low) rears its ugly head. Milacron has found some with more forgiving scan rates, as I recall.

You'll need to list the details of the machines/controllers, etc. to get responses more meaningful that this lame one...
You and the forum will be re-doing the research that makes the expensive options expensive.

Chip

Will be using a video converter so I am not too concerned with scan rates as I know that always becomes an issue and planning for it. Have done a couple in the past with PC monitors but those would accept a bigger display. Smaller ones are a hard find.

Converters really open up your choices.
I have a 3" diagonal monitor for a raspberry pi that will show a Windows XP embedded screen quite nicely thru a vga to hdmi converter. Many 7" touch-screen options out there as either products or raw displays. How small is small?
I think you'll need to start throwing out some specifics about the sizes you actually need...

Chip

One is a dynapath with 9" CRT, but I pretty much plan to cut the face plate to accommodate a bigger display. We converted a 12" CRT to 14" LCD in the past.

I gave up looking for a replacement on a NTC w/9"
Used a video adapter (to vga) and mounted the replacement on a fabbed bracket on top of the control. Blocked off the hole from the original with a piece of aluminum.
Only issue I have is a little confusion with the soft keys that are mounted directly below original screen
Looking up an additional 12" isn't great for my neck, but I'm cheap.
Repaired/rebuilt to replace was over $1000

I normally have just bought a $20 - $40 garden variety used LCD monitor, ripped the enclosure off it, and fabbed a mount. "Fabbed a mount" sounds MUCH more labor intensive than it actually is. Usually a piece of bent sheet metal or angle iron. Some times, a standard mount is perfectly acceptable, too. See pics. I've done this five times now over the years. Never an issue.

IMG_9229.JPG

IMG_9379a.JPG

IMG_9382.JPG

I purchased a raw video LCD screen on Ebay for about $140 for a Fadal replacement. BobW had this change out detailed here on PM many years ago. Unfortunately, mine flickered so badly I went immediately back to the CRT. CRT was rock solid. Thought is was refresh rate related, but LCD's supposedly don't have a refresh rate issue like CRT's do. Beyond my understanding for sure.

Good luck,

Dave

Back