What's new
What's new

Economy CNC for Jewelry Grade Metals

sunndelight

Plastic
Hello everyone. I have searched through this forum hoping to find the answers I need but I ended up having to post my questions after all. My questions are about an affordable (affordable to me that is) CNC machine for working with jewelry grade metals. I need the machine to:

- Route out shapes and designs from flat sheets of metal plate up to 1 mil but a little thinner is fine too.
- I only need to work with flat surfaces at this time.
- I'd like to be able to work with silver, gold, aluminum, copper, maybe brass and bronze too and jewelry grade zinc alloys or other jewelry grade metal alloys. (Question: If it can cut metal, can it cut non-metals too?)
- It would be nice if it could also cut through steel and stainless steel, but I can live without that luxury.
- The cutting I am referring to would be all the way through such as cutting complete circle shapes out of one sheet plate of metal and also more intricate designs such as a script letter B.
- I would also like it to engrave on flat surfaces of metals.
- Most of the designs or shapes I plan to route out will be no bigger than 2" x 2" (with only a handful being 3" x 8") so the work space does not need to be large.
- I need the machine to be VERY PORTABLE...as in desk top size and easy to move and set-up.
- I'd like to be able to use easy to use software with it. I do not have a degree in machining or code so the interface has to be laymen user friendly.
- I'd like to be able to design my own shapes or designs with the proper software for the CNC machine.
- I'd like the machine to be able to produce about 10 small pieces of cut outs per/hr.
- I'd like this machine to not cost me $7K. It seems that I can't get away from this big number. I have contacted several companies and I end up with sticker shock during our conversation. My budget right now is only $1000 complete (or add another $500 for software and additional parts needed). I'm hoping I can boost my business with such a machine and then use the proceeds to upgrade to a more appropriate machine.

I know I am asking a lot. I just need that little bit of "an edge" and a CNC would do that greatly for me, but the costs are so prohibitive for me. I have seen cheaper ones on Ebay and the various different "direct from China" sites, but I don't know enough about these machines to trust my judgement in choosing one. I know the terminology "RPM's" and "Spindle Type" are important factors to consider but I am not familiar with the industry to understand them. Please, won't somebody help me understand and point me in the right direction? Perhaps a site that explains it all in good laymen language detail and a push in the direction of a decent machine for my needs. Thanks to all. I appreciate any replies.

This is the wrong venue for discussing sub-thousand-dollar desktop CNC machines. There are no "professional" grade CNCs that fit that bill.

It sounds like you are really looking for a low-precision banggood level desktop mill, because decent precision desktop mills still cost several thousand.

About the lowest machine I'd recommend to anyone, realizing it has compromises, is a Tormach 440.

That's 440lbs of small CNC. Plenty of YouTube videos about it.

Anything smaller than that is either a Sherline, Taig, or crap.

For what you are wanting to do give up on the cnc and go manual. Look for a Gorton or Deckel pantograph and learn how to cut metal. Only thing is these aren't lightweight desk top machines.

Where should I start then?
Anything is possible with the right attitude.

Youtube machining channels and Practical Machinist forum archives for weeks and weeks on end.

Start a collection of websites about speeds and feeds. Buy a machinists handbook. Take notes, take notes, take notes. Probably the most important part of machining is taking notes. Most people that don't take notes fail at this trade.

If you demonstrate to the folks here that you are willing to help yourself before being spoon fed, they will help you.

the cheapest you could get for some guaranteed functionality is a gecko 540 at $300 driving 3 steppers at say, 50$ each. add a power supply and either linuxcnc or mach3 running on a relatively ancient computer with a parallel port, and you're left with 1000$ for the hardware.

how much your time is worth determines the "Value" of the remaining $$$ available.

as for the materials you're working with, cutting forces may be negligible and "creative" methods may be reasonable.

for example:

imagine that the lead screw is supported at both ends, and is of relatively large diameter and the X (or Y) axis rests "on" the leadscrew. the weight of the table pressing on the nut takes out the backlash. as long as the cutting forces don't exceed half the weight of the table, nothing goes wrong.

A while back when I had serious size and power restrictions at my house, ( I know I'm a garage guy, but I don't do contract machine work) I decided to pick up a Dyna Myte DM2800. I retrofitted the controls to a gecko 540 and Mach3 software and I'm on my way. I'm listening to it bang out parts right now and holds size really well for what I'm doing with it. I just wish it could handle serious cuts. It takes 45 minutes what a real mill can do in 10, but its paid for and isn't capacitized.

It is a 700lb machine though. Any machine worth its salt is not really portable.

I'm now primed in a better setting waiting for this little dyna myte to pay for the next mill. I'm even looking for another one of these to retrofit so I can leave set up running out common operations.

Thank you for your advice. I can see that I will have to fork out the money to get what I really need. I'd prefer a jewelry specific machine but when I google those types, I get huge machines that do way more than I need it to. I don't need wax capabilities, and I don't need the machine to make the wax trees or make entire ring settings. I just need to be able to route out shapes, letters and the like (all small pieces) from flat pieces of precious sheet metal as well as copper and brass for the most part with the use of easy to use software because I don't think I'll ever become a true machinist...just a humble jeweler. I really wanted it portable so I can take it to events. I have seem small, compact types, however, they were in the 20K+ category. I guess I'll have to save my pennies for an entire year if I'm going to be able to buy a jewelry specific cnc mill, router type machine. If anyone can point me in the right direction for a machine that fits my needs (even if it is expensive), I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know that I am looking at decent machine models that provide support, maintenance and are reliable and popular with the industry. Thanks.

Anything is possible with the right attitude.

Youtube machining channels and Practical Machinist forum archives for weeks and weeks on end.

Start a collection of websites about speeds and feeds. Buy a machinists handbook. Take notes, take notes, take notes. Probably the most important part of machining is taking notes. Most people that don't take notes fail at this trade.

If you demonstrate to the folks here that you are willing to help yourself before being spoon fed, they will help you.

The problem is the triangle.

You want cheap, small, and quality.

If it's cheap and small, it's low quality.

If it's small and quality, it's not cheap.

If it's cheap and quality, it doesn't exist.

Right now you don't know what you don't know about CNC.

I think you can do what you want with a Sherline CNC mill in the work envelope you need. Your risk to try it will be very small because they are popular hobby machines and easy to resell getting back most of your investment if new and probably all of it if you get a good deal on a used one. There is one for $1250 on Ebay right now.

You want CNC because these little machines are slow, and you don't really care if it is doing its thing while you are doing yours.

You also want a CAM program because little machines use little tools so tool paths have lots of moves. CamBam for 40 free sessions and $149 if you buy it will handle you needs nicely. You can even draw parts in CamBam and print drawings using plugins created by users. Extremely helpful forum to get you started.

Miro/Mira for jewelry. 5 axis. 20k+.

But that is the start, tooling n stuff, basic minimum, is 5k+.

Thank you for your advice. I can see that I will have to fork out the money to get what I really need. I'd prefer a jewelry specific machine but when I google those types, I get huge machines that do way more than I need it to. I don't need wax capabilities, and I don't need the machine to make the wax trees or make entire ring settings. I just need to be able to route out shapes, letters and the like (all small pieces) from flat pieces of precious sheet metal as well as copper and brass for the most part with the use of easy to use software because I don't think I'll ever become a true machinist...just a humble jeweler. I really wanted it portable so I can take it to events. I have seem small, compact types, however, they were in the 20K+ category. I guess I'll have to save my pennies for an entire year if I'm going to be able to buy a jewelry specific cnc mill, router type machine. If anyone can point me in the right direction for a machine that fits my needs (even if it is expensive), I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know that I am looking at decent machine models that provide support, maintenance and are reliable and popular with the industry. Thanks.

Miro/Mira for jewelry. 5 axis. 20k+.

But that is the start, tooling n stuff, basic minimum, is 5k+.

I crunched some numbers and it looks like it will take me about a year to come up with a good 5K - 7K for a CNC that will do the trick for me. Gundog and LowCountryCamo, not a chance, LOL! The type of jewelry I am making does not requires melting into molds. It requires carving or cut-outs of flat sheet metal. I'll be cleaning out my own machine, thank you very much! LOL! For the record though, I understand that some machines are designed to make it easier to collect the shavings such as in precious metal use. I thank everyone for your help...even the mean remarks. I've printed out a few pics of some machines I am dreaming of and keeping them posted in my studio to remind me what I'm working so hard for. By this time next year, I'll have me one of these babies. Thanks all. I'll be back to gloat, I mean share pictures of my machined once I have it in hand.

I crunched some numbers and it looks like it will take me about a year to come up with a good 5K - 7K for a CNC that will do the trick for me. Gundog and LowCountryCamo, not a chance, LOL! The type of jewelry I am making does not requires melting into molds. It requires carving or cut-outs of flat sheet metal. I'll be cleaning out my own machine, thank you very much! LOL! For the record though, I understand that some machines are designed to make it easier to collect the shavings such as in precious metal use. I thank everyone for your help...even the mean remarks. I've printed out a few pics of some machines I am dreaming of and keeping them posted in my studio to remind me what I'm working so hard for. By this time next year, I'll have me one of these babies. Thanks all. I'll be back to gloat, I mean share pictures of my machined once I have it in hand.

What machines are you pining for?

Back